Buff Orps in an Omlet Eglu?

dmcgrath76

Hatching
Aug 25, 2021
We are putting together or Omlet Eglu Cube and were wondering if orps would fit and be comfortable in an Omlet Eglu. If not, any advice on kid friendly breeds that would fit in there would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have an Omlet Eglu Cube and fit 4 standard sized hens in there. 4 is a good number.
I think the Buff Opington will fit fine. It's more critical how MANY you have in there.

I don’t have experience with the Omelette Eglu, but I do have a Buff Orpington. She’s a big girl…weighs 8lbs. I named her Gertrude.

All that to say they can be very large. Yet, I had another one once, and she was about the same size as my Barred Rocks. So I guess it depends on whether you end up with very large ones or not. They can take a lot of space on the roost.

I think an Eglu Cube should be great for Buffs. We have 3 eggers and 2 buffs and they are happy in their home. We have a fenced in area around their run and coop though so they have space to run around and scratch and sing. Space to be a chicken is probably higher priority than space to sleep as a chicken. But that is just our experience so might be different for you. Good luck and have fun!

We are putting together or Omlet Eglu Cube and were wondering if orps would fit and be comfortable in an Omlet Eglu. If not, any advice on kid friendly breeds that would fit in there would be appreciated. Thanks!
How many chickens are you planning to get?

As said, the number will be the biggest issue. As to what breeds, I have tried all sorts of variations and my favorite is the have an array of colors both in chickens and eggs. It's just more visually appealing to me that way. At one point I had all buff orpintons. They're great birds, but all look the same. I'm not sure of the exact size of your coop, but I think they're fairly small. I'd say maybe 4 birds and I'd probably go with a buff orpington, olive egger, white leghorn and a black copper marans. That would give you a beautiful egg box and a variety of hens. You'd have light brown, dark brown, green and white eggs.
This is one of mine for example (not all the same as the birds I recommended, but giving you an idea of color variance)

Attachments

• 20220326_102310.jpg
    20220326_102310.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 12
As said, the number will be the biggest issue. As to what breeds, I have tried all sorts of variations and my favorite is the have an array of colors both in chickens and eggs. It's just more visually appealing to me that way. At one point I had all buff orpintons. They're great birds, but all look the same. I'm not sure of the exact size of your coop, but I think they're fairly small. I'd say maybe 4 birds and I'd probably go with a buff orpington, olive egger, white leghorn and a black copper marans. That would give you a beautiful egg box and a variety of hens. You'd have light brown, dark brown, green and white eggs.
I say Easter Egger/Cream Legbar/Ameraucana to replace one of those 4 breeds if you want blue eggs! Four different color eggs is very exciting and easy to tell if someone stops laying since you know which eggs belongs to which chicken!

Last edited:
I have 2 americaunas. They're great birds and a solid option. I've also had a bunch of Easter eggers and my olive eggers are based on cclb. All good in my opinion. At one point I had all Easter eggers. That got boring too. You really need some brown and white to make the other colors stand out. Even if green eggs sounds cool, when they're all green it gets boring. For me anyway 🤷‍♂️

This is one of mine for example (not all the same as the birds I recommended, but giving you an idea of color variance)
A little behind on reading some of these posts as I’m a newbie as well a chicken mom as my chicks are 2 wks old. I was excited that you mentioned the Orpingtons as I have a Blue Orpington, Olive Egger but a Blue Copper Maran along with five different chicks.. I myself wanted a variety as well with an array of different eggs. Your carton of eggs are just beautiful!!

Back
Top Bottom