Buff Orps not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cockam-amy, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Cockam-amy

Cockam-amy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Missoula, MT
    I know I should be patient, but my 4 Buff Orps are not laying at 21 weeks and now that the days are getting shorter here in Montana I'm afraid I won't get any eggs until spring. I'm new to this whole chicken thing (and am totally addicted to the chicken forum!!) and would appreciate comments/advice![​IMG]

2. lindabean

lindabean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    I don't know if this is any solace, but here in South Tex., I have 3 Buff Orphs that are about 17 weeks old, and aren't even interested in looking at the nest. I know they all go up there at night, but since 2 of my 3 that were laying, Stopped Laying, I think they think it's just a place to get out of the weather. At least down here the really cold stuff is a few months away.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Orps are a slow maturing breed and most of mine don't lay till at least 6-7 months old.....some even later.

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    We have 10 Buffs (at least, we were told that what they are) and they started laying at 17 weeks. All were up and running by 19 weeks. I have not yet figured out why the differences are so great but I sure have given it some thought. We are just too new at this to know the factors.

5. naturegirl

naturegirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Central New York
    I have 4 bo's in my flock and I have 1 that just started laying 2 days ago, she is 23 weeks old. I have 21 pullets and only 8-10 are laying. I have been averaging about 6 eggs each day. Yours will lay soon. I have also read that BO's are good winter layers, so you should still have eggs through the long winter that is ahead! Good luck [​IMG]

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have some girls, currently 20 and 24 weeks old and still no eggs.

7. daklander

daklander Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Menifee, CA
    We have three buffs, going on six months, and nary an egg, no squats, not nuthin' except poop. I had a chat with them the other day about soup pots but that hasn't done any good yet.
    The RIRs, all four of them, are laying.

8. Cockam-amy

Cockam-amy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Missoula, MT
    Thanks you all--it is great having a sounding board. I too had a chat about the soup pot, but they know I'm kidding. I'll just sit back and wait:/

9. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    You might have those wind up type chickens,they need to be hand cranked to get going. Just grab a few tail feathers and crank [​IMG]

10. RlgNorth

RlgNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    North Pole, ALASKA
    I have 9 buffs and they just turned 21 weeks as of yesterday I have only one chicken laying right now and that is one of my buffs she has layed 3 eggs total. We are going on day 5 since she started so im happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by