1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

buff orps

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raspeary, Oct 13, 2009.

1. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    I know I need to be patient but are buff orps really late on starting to lay eggs?

Mine are 25. About two weeks ago i got 4 eggs in one day and I'm pretty sure they were not from my two RIR's because they lay in the back corner of the nest. Two eggs were there in the morning, then that same night, there were two eggs in front of the coop door on the opposite side of the coop. I haven't had anymore than two eggs a day since then though.

Odd....really just curious how late they could start. I think they might be getting ready to because their combs and wattles are turning red all of a sudden.

2. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    also looking for this answer... mine are going to be 18 weeks this week and most of the combs and wattles are pretty red......

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have some 25 and 29 weeks. I believe my 29 weekers started laying, but my younger ones haven't yet. With the downward cycle of daylight, they may start later than usual or not at all until spring. Hang in there, hopefully the eggs come soon.

4. ksct

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    oh man i'm REALLY hoping they don't wait that long!!!! we're keeping light on them and making sure they're as 'happy' as chickens can be.... Waiting for an egg is like nothing else! hope it happens sooner than later!!!!!

5. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
  6. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    One really good indicator that a hen is about to lay, or is laying, is big poop [​IMG] Gross but it seems to always tell me who is laying and who is going to lay, I believe it is very accurate.

7. ksct

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    ok big poop.... well we do have some of those...... however we also have 12 hens..... kinda hard to tell who did it. lol
    We probably have 2-3 hens that do not have the bright red combs and wattles.... could that mean they will lay later than the others?

8. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    Big poop! Wow, that is really interesting, because I pointed that out to DH this past W/E. One of mine is laying and the others are just pooping!!

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My Bo's were 26-28 weeks when they started to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by