Buff O's with PTSD ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wayne, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Wayne

Wayne Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Hillsborough, NC
    Five Buff O's and one Barred Rock, Hatched early Feburary and started laying early August. By early October they were laying 6 eggs a day. I became lazier and neglected to close the door to the coop, they roam during the day and go back in the coop to roost at dark. Went out to take roll one morning and was missing one buff. I speculate that a fox helped himself. Now I close the coop every night....no more losses.

They have slowed way down on their feed, and I only get ONE [​IMG] egg a day. The barred rock is the only one I ever see on a nest.. Can chickens suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome....This one a day has been consistent for 3 weeks....Any suggestions ?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

More likely it's either they are molting or lack of light. It's that time of the year.They will stop laying if stressed, but that's usually temporary.

Imp

3. WELCOME!!

One of our hens saw another hen killed by a fox and died 3 or 4 weeks later.
    But when a coon got in our coop he killed 2 and then we scared him away but the one that was next recovered quickly and so did all the others except one is not laying.

Matthew

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by