Buff Rock vs. Buff Orpington - need help!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by yashuwae, Mar 6, 2013.

1. yashuwae

yashuwae New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    Texas
    Hi there.
    After doing a little research, I found that buff rocks have yellow legs, while orpingtons have white. With knowing that difference, I was wondering if anyone had some pics of their own buff rocks...hard to find them.

My problem: I am ordering some chicks from a major hatchery for my mother, and would like to know which has more even plumage. (she would like more of a "buff-yellow" color than a "buff-light brown" if that makes since.) I had a barred rock a few years ago and it was a nice bird- I would like to get some buff rocks for that reason.

Also, I have seen numerous pictures of buff orpingtons...but it seems to me there is no regular buff plumage pattern- there are different shades along the feathers of those birds. I heard buff rocks were a new breed and the color may be inconsistent. Is this true?
    Thanks
    yashuwae

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Buff Rock have been around for years. Not as long as the Barred variety though.
    Orpingtons do a lot of setting. I have never owned the Buff Rocks before but have seen them.

Too me the Rocks buff color seems to shine more than the Orpington, but that is me. I am sure that Orpington fanicers will disagree. We all have our preferences.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by