Buff Silkie Genetics?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dsowens15, Aug 4, 2010.

1. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    Could you take some time to help me. I have a buff silkie hen and i'm not sure of her buff color, Its like a splash under coat or something. I know nothing of genetics. [​IMG]
    At the tips of her wing feathers she has white and blue feathers. I don't know who her parents are.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And what would the outcome be if I mate her with a red/buff rooster?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Or what.
    Buff Silkie. Looks buff to me.

3. dsowens15

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    Not exactly what I was asking, I know she is a buff silkie but she has a splash like under coat. I wanted to know how that came about.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Its a buff, just with offcoloring. You want to breed for a clear buff, with no blue/black or even white in the coloring.

5. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    A buff with out the darker color in them is a bit hard to find. They are a color you have to work with to get the darker part out. Breeding to a red rooster is what I would do to see if that will add more of that gray color or a clearer buff. Keep going you have a nice one there and a good plan. The light color is what they look like when there lighter. The darker buff is better but the buff color you have is just fine. The babies you get from this hen and the red rooster pick out the ones that dont have the smut in them and breed them. Smut is that real dark color in the wing and tail. Good luck [​IMG]
    How that came about? not real sure. I think the buff came from a Partridge and that is the smut you are seeing from the darker parts of the partridge. Don't know for sure but it is common. Use the search button at the top right and put in smut in silkie buff. She is very cute.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

My silkie Butterscoth is about that color but only has the dark showing in a few random tiny spots on her tail. It is VERY common in buffs to see that blue or black feathering in their flight feathers and tail. It could come from anywhere her parents, or 4 or 5 + generations back... The blue looking feathers are throwing me - makes me think there was a blue or blue partridge somewhere in her genetic history.

7. dsowens15

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    thank you all. Any more experts who would like to help?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Not sure what else needs adding? Yes, she is splash in her undercoat, so will pass the blue gene to all her offspring. Blue was bred to buffs to reduce the appearance of black in the undercoat, primaries and tail feathers. It dilutes the black pigment, but does not remove it. That is why you need to breed to clear buffs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by