Buff silkie moping?

JFG

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
I have a 3 year old buff silkie hen. She has been a good layer (for a silkie). She laid her last eggs in July. She went into her usual broody period. When she came out of the broodiness, she molted as usual, but has not started laying again. At first I attributed this to the extremely hot weather we were having in Houston, TX. However, it has cooled down in the past 3 weeks and she has not started laying again. Also, her appetite is a bit depressed and she does not forage around the yard as she once did. Her poop looks normal. Could she be depressed? She is an only chicken with a elderly feline for company. I really do not care about the eggs, just about her health. I have noticed bits of white flakes in the bottom of her coop tray with an occasional feather. I do not see any insects. Her feathers look healthy. I am trying to decide if I should take her to the bird vet. Any ideas? Thanks for any input!

Even though you don't see insects, look for eggs at the base of feathers.The red mite only comes out at night lurking in cracks and crevices of wood in the coop, during the daytime. Here are pictures of lice and mite eggs: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html Mites, lice, and worms are causes of poor egg laying. A good wormer is Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer 1/2 ml, and repeat in 10 for the larvae. As far as being depressed, I would feel sorry for an only chicken. I would look around for a couple of healthy antam pullets to keep her company. Many people are thinning down their crops this time of year, and would probably help you out. I would ask on your local state thread here on BYC--I give chickens away to nice people who just want to get started.

I checked again tonight. I just had a feeling it was mites or lice. She does not come in contact with other chieckens but we do have lots of wild birds and squirrels in the yard. I found what I think are lice.

Back
Top Bottom