Buff Silkie Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Celtic Hill, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    So there has been a lot of talk about Buff Silkies on the silkie thread, so I decided to make a topic just for us who are breeding buff silkies to talk about our trials and tribulations. I think it would be great for new breeders as well as more experienced breeders to share their experiences!

-Ian

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Is buff what the UK call gold?

3. phasianidae

phasianidae Songster

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Yes.

4. mrslb333

mrslb333 Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Oh I'm glad you started this thread I have my first gold chick she looks perfect apart from her comb which is the wrong shape, is this down to genetics? I take it this one would be no good for breeding? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chickendales

chickendales Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    what kinda comb dose she have at this age unless the have single comb it hard tell comb it right

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:The chick does not look to be feathering in buff. Is it possible she is from a mixed color pen? She looks to be coming in Partridge.

7. mrslb333

mrslb333 Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    My camera is a bit rubbish and made her wings look miles darker than they are. Her comb is straight. The parents were definitely pure breeds I watched him get the eggs out and I've hatched some gorgeous chicks from his birds before this is the first time he has bred the buff. The parents were from show stock it's just the comb thats concerning me I don't mind if the colour is slightly off [​IMG]

8. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Oh I see what you mean about the comb color being whiteish/yellow. Looking again I see that the wings are a dark buff and black. The chick is still so young I never guess on a chicks quality till around 6m-1year.

ETA: It's feet also do not look black...They seem very light skinned.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  9. chickendales

chickendales Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    buffs are one harder colors so u kinda forgive a lot more then black or white

10. chickendales

chickendales Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    i know there not silkies but there buff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: