Buff X blue???

kimnkell

Songster
11 Years
May 10, 2008
Kentucky
Hi,
Back in the spring I had a blue Orp hen in with my buff Orp hens and buff roo.
I hatched some these eggs with some other crossed eggs, My question is what would the Buff x blue chicks look like? Could it be black?
I just wanted to know if my buff babies were pure or could they also be from the blue hen too, and be carrying a blue gene?
hmm.png

Last edited:
I crossed a buff cochin roo over blue cochin hens this spring and wound up with blue colored chicks to start but the older they got the more buff to gold showed up. I actually had 2 hens that would have been great lemon blue starters but I just sold all of my cochins except for 3 mottled bantam roos and 4 hens. heres a pic of them at around 12 weeks
26015_chicks_6.jpg

What a cool bunch of chicks!
It sorta looks like all my buff chicks are pure then??
I wanted to keep some of the buff chickes to use for breeders, but wasn't sure they were pure.

The offspring from the blue hen could be blue or black at hatch, often with chestnut on the head. As with encorepistol's cochins the buff is likely to show on the head, breast & shouders of the birds as they get older. Unless the black (or blue) parent was heterozygous for birchen (E/ER) they would be unlikely to ever be lemon blue. They might look similar to lemon blue but without the correct genes they will not become stable & breed true.

Quote:
So just out of curiosity to get a lemon blue bird that breeds true you would have to breed a blue or black bird to a birchen bird first then take the offspring and breed to buff?
idunno.gif
hu.gif

I gather lemon blue is a blue gold birchen. A blue to a gold birchen & back to gold birchen would work. You could use a silver birchen if you could be sure the blue carried gold rather than silver.

Sometimes blue or black birds are heterozygous ER (birchen or crowwing?)

Quote:
So just out of curiosity to get a lemon blue bird that breeds true you would have to breed a blue or black bird to a birchen bird first then take the offspring and breed to buff?
idunno.gif
hu.gif

Thanks for the info everyone!
I too, was wandering how to make lemon blue that breeds true??
I have a gold birchin, I might have to give it a go

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom