1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buffalo chicken wings for chickens??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Dec 13, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    After an oven malfunction the other night I ended up frying DH's favorite dish - buffalo chicken wings. Turns out he didn't like them fried and I can't eat them; due to gluten in the spices.

Can the chickens have them? I generally avoid giving them spicy foods.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    gritsar, this has nothing to do with the wings but I was reading on your page about making the roo get off the hen when mating in front of you is that to show your dominance over the roo?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes. It's been my observation that the alpha roo of a flock never lets his subordinates mate in front of him. He will knock the subordinate off the hen and give him a run for his money.

4. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    I put lots of cayenne pepper in my chickens' feed, and also give them mashes with red pepper flakes. So I can't imagine any spices that would hurt them! [​IMG]

I bump my roosters off the hens, too. It's part of the Top Rooster persona...don't mess with my girls...

5. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I can't imagine feeding chicken to chickens. It just sounds too gross.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd feed it! It'll be fun to watch them fight over them [​IMG]

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I've fed it since my chickens were young. It's a good protein source for them. They don't have a clue that it coud possibly be great aunt Harriet. They do prefer turkey though.

Mulewagon, thanks. They'll be getting wings for breakfast tomorrow. With our 20 degree temp. predicted I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by