Buffer Zone - Neighbors Chickens

Don;t take it personally, just if they are following codes, you'll need to kick rocks. Sorry to say.

Wouldn't rocks hurt my toes?

I promise I'm not taking what you are saying personally, even if I understood clearly. But I am certain my mom would and roll her eyes at me. My sense of humor is apparently extremely dry and so I don't seem to understand anything wet.

I can only see two possibilities for kicking rocks in a metaphorical sense.
- I make a bigger fuss about the neighbors and then all the creepy crawly bugs skitter out and try to eat me.
- I march off in silence and kick at things the way an angry male would have once visited the woodpile when he needed to keep his mouth shut.
- A hitherto unguessed third option...

Wouldn't rocks hurt my toes?

I promise I'm not taking what you are saying personally, even if I understood clearly. But I am certain my mom would and roll her eyes at me. My sense of humor is apparently extremely dry and so I don't seem to understand anything wet.

I can only see two possibilities for kicking rocks in a metaphorical sense.
- I make a bigger fuss about the neighbors and then all the creepy crawly bugs skitter out and try to eat me.
- I march off in silence and kick at things the way an angry male would have once visited the woodpile when he needed to keep his mouth shut.
- A hitherto unguessed third option...
The way I use it is if codes are being followed, no one has room to complain.

The way I use it is if codes are being followed, no one has room to complain.

Ahh, I see.
Well thankfully the light version of complaining (compared to putting ones foot down) will get us some sight blocking cloth on the chain link fence and an edict against roosters running loose. We will add the buffer zone fence ourselves. Hopefully that will do it.

I'll just be over here, sniffling and moaning about all the extra labor in the heat and expense of fencing.
No more free eggs for those neighbors. They can try getting eggs from their roosters!

Truthfully I would not bother adding the buffer zone if it is only going to be a few feet. Your birds have already shared air space, for quarantine you need at least 36 feet between the birds.

The sight blocking cloth might help, won't hurt, but roosters are going to want hens, is your run covered over the top? If not, I would expect the boys to be in your flock. Instead of a buffer zone, I would want to have a totally enclosed area, or you are going to either gain roosters or loose hens.

Chickens really do not understand about a property line.
Mrs K

The sight blocking cloth might help, won't hurt, but roosters are going to want hens, is your run covered over the top? If not, I would expect the boys to be in your flock. Instead of a buffer zone, I would want to have a totally enclosed area, or you are going to either gain roosters or loose hens.

Thank you for answering how many feet would make a sufficient setback.
We may be able to do 36ft without sacrificing too much space.
Is there a link to those quarantine guidelines you might send me, please?

We won't be gaining roosters. Our mutual landlord understands we are trying to breed and said if they get over here, they're gone.
As much as I'd love to be "nice", I'm not sacrificing my project and goals and hobby for someone else's carelessness.
The surrounding chain link fence is 6ft high, and although they tried this evening they failed to make it over. For their sake I hope that continues to be the case.

Our pens are too large and under huge granddaddy oak trees which regularly drop limbs so we have not had success keeping netting up in our yard. I can't tell you how many tangled ruined messes I have had to unravel from sticks and logs and spanish moss.
And I'm just not going to shove my birds in a small area I could cover with roofing, I don't believe it's fair to them.
We keep all of our animals in our space and expect everyone else to do the same. No exceptions.

The surrounding chain link fence is 6ft high, and although they tried this evening they failed to make it over. For their sake I hope that continues to be the case.
All our fencing is 6 ft aaaaaaaand we now have the neighbours roo. He’s a massive dude, none of my fatties have flown high enough to escape. The lighter breed I have in another section easily hops back and forth according to my kids 😒 Unfortunately Rocky misjudged the fence one night and hung himself up by the legs. He’s recovered and immediately popped back over to join us. Tonight he and my BCM roo finally got into a kerfluffle, so that’s great… I’m guessing your neighbour’s roos will eventually find a way in, so it’s good you’ve brought up the concerns already and have support to handle it

Back
Top Bottom