BUGS IN COOP BEDDING? GUH-ROSS!

Oh my. That isn't enough ventilation. Can you add a small window or use screen or something to make a window? Look at my coop. I have a window made out of chicken wire that is kept dry by having a long overhang. Maybe you could try something like that.

I mentioned all this to my husband and his response was--isn't leaving the door open ALL THE TIME enough ventilation? Isn't that a valid question?
idunno.gif

Quote:
Probably not, hence the bugs, etc. I too thought I had enough ventilation and then, on a sunny day, I actually crawled in the coop myself and sat there. Guess what? It was hot and no fresh air coming in! I immediately added side windows which I can open whenever the weather calls for it.

Get some newspaper down and go sit in the coop for awhile and see for yourself! Cluck, Cluck
big_smile.png

ETA: And if it stinks in there or your eyes water, you need to fix that too!

Last edited:
Quote:
Your chickens do look happy and healthy. Since you've asked for suggestions, I'd probably make covered nestboxes (you'll need 2 for 7-8 hens), so that they don't poop in the boxes. I've seen people use open ones, but it's nice to be able to pick up fresh, clean eggs everyday instead of poopy ones. If you don't want to make them, you can always buy used cat litterboxes (the covered ones). I bought two at garage sales and our chickens like them as much as the wooden ones we made (you can also check craigslist). There's also lots of other nestbox ideas on BYC - milk crates, 5 gallon buckets on their sides, etc.

Quote:
Your chickens do look happy and healthy. Since you've asked for suggestions, I'd probably make covered nestboxes (you'll need 2 for 7-8 hens), so that they don't poop in the boxes. I've seen people use open ones, but it's nice to be able to pick up fresh, clean eggs everyday instead of poopy ones. If you don't want to make them, you can always buy used cat litterboxes (the covered ones). I bought two at garage sales and our chickens like them as much as the wooden ones we made (you can also check craigslist). There's also lots of other nestbox ideas on BYC - milk crates, 5 gallon buckets on their sides, etc.

That's a great idea! I had noticed that the nest box gets really dirty & I wasn't sure if they were doing that while IN the box, or it was coming from when they are roosting. I like the cat litter box idea!

I am also trying to see if I can't put the feeder and waterer outside, hanging under the coop (even tho there's only slightly more space there than the height of the feeders); I think then they would stay outside more.

When I went out to feed them this morning, I was looking at the sides to see how I could put in some window space; I'm sure it can be done, but the tin roof doesn't extend far out on the edges so I'm concerned about rain getting in. I guess I could just nail up a slanted piece of tin/wood/something above the new windows?

Any ideas about how I can put some kind of tray or shelf under the roost bar? Again, the problem is having something running the full length of the roost bar would be very difficult to get out the front door....

Using the deep-litter method, has anyone thought about the bugs being something for the chickens as food? Like for colder weather, the chickens can turn the bedding over and hunt for tidbits of buggy protein? I forgot where I read it somewhere, that the bugs were doing their job thru the bedding and the chickens didn't mind digging and hunting for the bugs durng the colder months for that little bit of natural protein. Hunting for the bugs while being cooped up during bad weather also gave the chickens something to do.

I'll be using the deep-litter method and using those little bits of live buggy protein for my chickens during nasty weather. It will give my chickens a little extra protein and something to do. I'm actually looking forward to doing this for my chickens, as I know they'll thank me in their small ways.

Hmmm, hadn't really given that any thought! I don't particularly mind the bugs as long as they are not anything that is going to harm the chickens.

Right now I am focusing on getting more ventilation, getting the feed/water moved outside, and making the nest box more poop-proof (also adding another nest box). On the look out for a covered cat litter box! I just need some more help with figuring out what to do about some kind of roost bar poop board/shelf/tray....somebody.....anybody?
fl.gif

Last edited:
Im not sure if this would work for you or not but its what my hubby wants to do in our coop. We are planing to have a hanging board under the roost , he is going to attach it with hooks to the roost so that we only have to release it from the chains to take it out , I asked him to make it in 3 or 4 foot lengths so I could get it out of the coop. We will be putting in a few under each roost , most likely it will have 2 boards for each so that we can go the entire length ( he plans on making the roosts on 2 walls under the bigest window.
Now Im not sure if these will swing too much or not ( still in the planing stage for these and Im only going by the drawing he made ) but it looks like it will work.
fl.gif

25530_gold_sexlinks_buttercups.jpg

Above your pic of butercups.
Are these buttercups?
I have golden penciled hamburgs, blue legs like this, that look just like your buttercups.
Hard to tell all these breeds apart!​

Last edited:
Yes, at least that's what the farmer we bought them from said they were. I did an internet search on the breed and saw photos of hens that looked like these.

Back
Top Bottom