Bugs in coop

Reawsphant01

Songster
May 14, 2020
Amersham, London, United Kingdom
Hello guys I need quick help pls,

Whenever I walk into my coop, I always walk out itching every part of my body. I think they are bugs or something, I found one on my hand so I took a picture. One of them was crawling through my phone as I was writting this. 20200919_190709.jpg However as soon as I shower theyll all go but still, its soo annoying. Please help, theyre being unpatient.

Not sure if that is a type of poultry mite... or not.
1600550760852.png

@Tesumph @Overo Mare ??
What you think?

@Reawsphant01 Had you been handling the birds when this got on you?
There's a lot of insets around that are not threat to the birds...so don't jump to conclusions and start spreading DE(which won't do a lick of good anyway) or insecticides until you are sure it needs to be treated.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Would also be good to know......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1600550984975.png

Good advice. I would do what @aart suggested. First determine what you have then you can figure out what's the best treatment. When I check my birds at night, I wear a headlamp so I have both of my hands free to check the birds over.
ChickenMites.jpg

Back
Top Bottom