BUGS & sour feed wheat??

DLS

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
100 miles SOUTH of Atlanta
I had a bag of feed wheat that got slammed with THOUSANDS of whevels 3 days ago. It was in a plastic garbage can .SO me being smart ( I thought) I filled it with water to drown the weavels. NOW it stinks sour smelling And is bubbling .BUT the bugs look dead.
wonder if I could still use it for the chickens? maybe pour it out & let dry?
what say ye??

Last edited:
Unless it's rotten...you should be able to dry it, then feed it to them, not all at once of course. It would be sprouted grain then, and that's pretty healthy. When I sprout grain, the water sometimes doesn't get changed when it should, and we all have been fine, as long as I rinse it good.

Maybe someone will come along with a good reason why you shouldn't do this... don't sue me, OK?

Tanya

I would think if it's sour smelling now, that means it's begun to ferment....I personally wouldn't chance feeding it to my birds. I had a similar situation, and I decided to dump it all. I took it to the back of my field & dumped it over the fence so none of my livestock could get to it.

would weevils hurt chickens?

they are bugs?

Question: would feeding wheat with bugs in it, weevils (sp) hurt chickens? We farm, so this is a valuable guestion for me. Of course I wouldn't feed rotten grain that smelled or was moldy but if it had bugs? people feed meal worms, so what damage would weevils do?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom