Build a coop inside a barn

trudeman

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 31, 2010
I'm new to this forum. I'm amazed at all the good information and camaraderie! I just finished building my coop inside a barn here in freezing Montana. It measures about 8' x 10', has a concrete floor, and is insulated. I used T-111 for the inside walls. The nests are along the interior wall so we can collect the eggs from inside the barn without disturbing the girls. So far it's working well. Temp inside stays about 40 degrees, even when it drops to mid teens outside during the night. As soon as it warms and the snow melts, I will build an outside run. I'd like to make the run movable so I can drag it to different parts of the yard using the tractor. Any suggestions? Any tips I should know before I build it? Thanks everyone.
smile.png

Hi, welcome to BYC
smile.png

If you want a walk-in height 'day tractor' moveable-pen type thing, a hoop design is generally the best (either heavy grade pvc or cattle panel construction)... there are lots of threads on here about that type thing (some use them as tractors, some as permanent runs). If for some reason you only wanted a knee-high run, you can do it by framing out a low wide wooden 'box' and covering with mesh; but this does not really offer much if any advantage over the walk-in style so I would suggest you maybe lean towards the walk-in hoop style.

Be aware there is a real limit to how big you can build a moveable pen, not so much because of weight (although, there is that too of course) but because of structural stability during movement and because the bigger it is, the more problem you have with any little dip or wiggle or unevenness in the ground creating big gaps under the edges of the frame. You can do stuff with wire aprons and all that, but it is a real nuisance and a gappier tractor will never be as secure as a less gappy one.

Have you thought about building a permanent run outside the barn, that they can use all year round every day, and then if you want to be able to give them grass access on nice days you can *also* whip together a portable hoop-style thing. That would be versatile, not much more expensive, and lead to much happier/healthier chickens.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom