Build an automatic coop door?

clport

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Oregon City, OR
DH has good intentions, but he's really busy with work. So, I need some BYC help! Would anyone be willing to build me an automatic coop door opener/closer? I'd of course pay for parts and your time. $75 is my budget. Any takers? Twelve beautiful hens (and their person) in Oregon would be very appreciative! Thanks.
big_smile.png

Why not build it *yourself*?
tongue.png
There are several threads on BYC about it, including a well-developed one that Rob (Nifty, the BYC site owner) came up with. None are terribly difficult to make. Do a 'search' to find the threads, get the parts, and there ya go
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
Pat, the answer to this question is because I am a right-brained person, not left! I have been searching and reading the related posts for months and there is no way in the world that I would not become frustrated to the point of irrational behavior (not to mention burning down the house!) if I attempted to do any of the door projects. I'm happy to pay someone else to do the tasks which I know from experience don't end well if I'm involved in them. Thanks anyway!

I just built a 12v door opener. I haven't actually built the whole thing yet, just the controller.

Timer switches on (for 1 minute), motor spins one way and opens the door.
Door hits limit switch, shuts motor off. Timer switches off after 1 minute.

Timer switches on in the evening and the door closes.

Total in parts so far:
$25 for the controller with switches.
$37 for linear actuator (ebay) but I might use a 12Vmotor I have.
$0 had drawer slides for the door.
$0 wood for the door. I have some, but will probably include it in the coop cost.

$ to be spent so it doesn't have to be plugged in:
12v timer
12v battery
12v solar charger.

Cheers,
B

Bad Coffee, Are you saying you'll build one for me or just giving me the low-down on what you spent? I did forget to say in my original post that I needed it to work on a battery as I don't have electric in my coop and don't want to run an extension cord out to it. If I could just get someone to build the controller, than I could do the hook up to battery part.
Thanks,
Carol

Back
Top Bottom