Build big or renovate later?

ci_cyfarth

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
Columbia, MO
One of the challenges I'm having designing my coop/run is that I'm planning to move slowly and keep a fairly small flock. My city only allows six hens at a time, and I'd like to ensure I have the space for younger birds periodically, so I'd only be starting with 2-3 this coming year, then add another 1-2 after a year or two, etc. (Note: I'm being an optimist and assuming about an 8 year lifespan on my hens; random death/loss will be factored in as needed once the theoretical chickens start being actual chickens.)

While it seems like chickens don't object to more room than is necessary -- I'm really hoping to stay close to that 4' sq coop/10' sq run ideal if I can! -- I worry about a duo or trio being able to keep their coop warm enough in a coop made for six during a Missouri winter. I don't want my future hens to be chickensicles! On the other hand, building a coop cozy enough for two or three now will mean a rebuild or renovation further on down the line.

Anybody have experience or advice with how to manage this kind of thing? My inclination is to build a smaller coop -- 3'x4' with either a 4'x6' or 4'x8' run -- for the initial 2-3 and then expand it in 2-4 years when I get closer to the 6 chicken mark, but there's definitely a part of me that grits its teeth at what feels uncomfortably like planned obsolescence.

Thoughts? Experiences? Good ideas?

Yeah, I'd build big. It's amazing how long it can take to build just one coop
smile.png
If you're worried about too much space, you can always put a temporary partition in the big coop. Maybe use half for storage during the first phase of your chicken experience.

I can't be sure, but it's almost like all of you are suggesting I build...big?
wink.png

The huddle box is a great idea! I had no idea that was an option, though I suspect the whole "eggs in strange places" situation could be problematic.

One thing I'm wondering about is whether I could make my coop design sufficiently modular that I could, say, remove a wall every so often and fasten on an addition. If I built the new section in advance, attaching it would (at least theoretically) be the work of an afternoon (he says, all wide-eyed and innocent to the ways of chicken math).

Quote:
It's much easier to make a space smaller than it is to make a space larger. The huddle box, a winter drop ceiling, etc. are great. Huddle boxes are great because they can help conserve body heat, but the floor space is still available if your birds don't want to go out much in winter.
Adding one bird is never a good idea, so however you want to do your math, consider it with adding a pair of birds down the road rather than a single bird. So either think of starting with three and adding three, or starting with two, then two, then another two... I've been trying to somewhat stagger my new chicks that way too, every two years. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with space issues or number restrictions, so my oldies aren't quite such an imposition.

Build big. You will be glad you did. I started out with 4 chickens and now have 10.I've only had chickens not even a year and have expanded twice. Easier to make smaller spaces in a bigger area.

Back
Top Bottom