Build your own snowman ornament?

sezjasper

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Eldersburg, Maryland
Hi to all the talented crafters out there! I've been searching for instructions or a picture of an ornament that I think I first saw here, about a year ago! It was a clear plastic ball to hang on the tree, and inside were the "materials" to build your own snowman...like a kit in miniature. The main ingredient was white glitter for snow...but beyond that, I can't remember what else was included. It was very cute! I'm unemployed this year and I was hoping to add to the meager Christmas gifts that I can afford with some cute hand-made items. Does anyone remember seeing this ornament? Thanks and hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
frow.gif

Thanks, Kelsie! That is generally the idea but I know it's not the exact one I had seen (uses...what is that stuff?!...instead of glitter...) but that's the idea. Basically what I'm trying to figure out is what to use to make the pieces like the tiny top hat, etc. So I guess you could say I'm trying to steal someone else's idea
hide.gif
but hey, all's fair in love and Christmas??
fl.gif

Those are cute, really like the color sparkle the glitter adds. The whole idea reminds me of a lot of the Calvin and Hobbs cartoons. Those spider ornaments are are actually quite pretty as a snow flake ornament substitute. Some nice ideas on those threads for winter projects, thanks for the reminder.

Yes, aren't those spiders great? I remember seeing them last year and thinking they were so pretty I'd even wear them as a lapel pin LOL!!

I'm so grateful for your help in locating the ornament! We need a lot of small gifts to exchange this year and the snowman ornaments will be perfect!

Kelsie, thanks to you I found it!! I was using the wrong words for my search...the magic words were "some assembly required!" Here is the link to the original post. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/725967/anyone-making-homemade-christmas-gifts/10 It's post #20

Yes, aren't those spiders great? I remember seeing them last year and thinking they were so pretty I'd even wear them as a lapel pin LOL!!

I'm so grateful for your help in locating the ornament! We need a lot of small gifts to exchange this year and the snowman ornaments will be perfect!

lol.. those were mine

I've already had one request for directions for making the snowman ornament.. so I'll pass it along here:

ok, start with one of the clear glass ornaments. (If you can't find them you can take one of the colored glass ones and pull of the cap. Pour a little rubbing alcohol inside and shake it up to remove the color, then wash with glass cleaner).

Remove the cap from the ornament and wash the ornament if it is dusty. Let dry

Take some polymer clay (Sculpy or Fimo) and make eyes (black clay), buttons, and a hat. Make sure the hat is small enough to go through the neck of the ornament. Use brown clay to make the branch arms. Orange clay to make the carrot for his nose. Bake according to the manufacturers directions.
You could probably make a felt hat instead of the clay. I had the clay on hand and it was easy enough to make them small enough to fit through the ornament neck.

Take a thin piece of ribbon and fray both ends for the scarf for around his neck (i used some thick tacky glue to glue it after I shaped it into a loop and held that in place with a clothes pin until it dried).

Fill the ornament part way with "snow". I like the iridescent kind from Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/2-oz.-Whi...nkle-Flakes-for-Christmas-Decorating/28966757
You can find it online at craft shops as "Buffalo snow".

Once the eyes and such are baked add them and the ribbon scarf to the ornament. Cap it and add the tag.

easy peasy stuff. lol I did need to explain to the elderly relatives that it wasn't actually a kit. . . just a fun ornament!

Yinepu, thank you so much...for the directions and for generously sharing your idea! I'm hoping the ornaments turn out as cute as yours did! I'll try to post a picture
fl.gif

X2, thanks for the further directions. You know, a couple of those little styrofoam balls and it could become a kit, keep the relatives happy. Now trying to figure out why the glitter is called Buffalo Snow...

Back
Top Bottom