1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BUILDING A CHICKEN MANSION (ANY SUGGESTIONS?)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenOrTheEgg, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ChickenOrTheEgg

ChickenOrTheEgg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2007
    Elsberry, Missouri
    We moved to the country less than a year ago and we are all settled now so we just got 5 chicks. I have a completly empty single-wide mobile home complete with doggie doors, ramps and fencing. I want to build nesting boxes and perches all over the place and make them as comfortable as possible but I don't know what the best type of box or perch to build. I herd that you don't want the boxes and perches in the same area, is that true. Does anyone have any cool ideas for me? Again we are brand new to chickens so if you could use layman's terms I would appreciate it. My wife, 3 kids, and I are so excited we can't stand it!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  2. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    WOW!! I don't have any ideas, but I think you may need to get more chickens. [​IMG]

3. countryentertainment

countryentertainment Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    Mass.
    so how about taking the doors off cabinets if there are some and putting nest boxes or the drawers from above in there. you would want to cover the front of the cabinet with cloth(canvas) and make one slit up the center of each door opening, it will help keep them from sleeping in the boxes and making a mess.

perch goes in front of nest box for them to stand on before entering

roosts (to sleep on at night)
    we used slats from a lumber store on the edge of a 2 by 2 or 2 by 4, they can walk and hold onto the slats easy and it's not as much sanding as it would be to use a 2 by 4 laying down.
    you'll do yourself a favor by putting wire mesh under them with a 2 by 2 frame and painted plywood to catch all the droppings under the wire mesh. that way at night all the poop will land there, so much easier to keep clean. just leave enough room between the wire screen and the plywood to get a hoe in to pull out all the droppings we use a snow shovel to put the dropping into. it only takes a could minutes to clean it and the odor won't be unbearable.
    we have 1/2" wire mesh it was fine when ours were little but when we do it again it will be 1' wire mesh instead. Keep the roost at least 15" away from the wall and even then you may find some dribbles. hope you have free shavings available. We use 1 bag of shavings in a 6 by 8 coop, but with the wires under all the roosts it lasts a long time. hope the floor is all vinyl flooring! Are you gonna make them stairs and ramps all over the place, that would be fun? mine jump up people sized stairs really easy. does it get cold were you are? you wouldn't want to run hot air heat in there. have fun with those chicks, we got ours last May, we're loving it. it's so cute when they follow us around! I love their fuzzy bottoms. Cindy:D

4. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
  5. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Quote:Man that's nice (thumbs up)

6. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I would love to a chicken and live there geesh that is a nice idea

7. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    WOW!!

and i want that pond....

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

WOW.....I guess my girls and guys, live in the slums.....LOL. Sure turned out nice! Must be a serious breeder. At least I know mine are dry, and warm, and happy. [​IMG]

9. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Quote:Here Here me too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by