building a coop, hatching eggs.....and wearing a giant grin!

chickenbike

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
British Columbia, Canada
Hello everyone from beautiful British Columbia!

I am new to the forum, but glad to have discovered it. My husband and I are building a coop this month and our neighbors and us are hatching Chantecler eggs. We learned of the Chantecler breed online while researching winter-hardy breeds. To our surprise, it is Canada's only breed, with a wonderful history, yet sadly is on Canada's Rare Breeds list now.

We both had chickens growing up so it's a return to our roots and we're both very excited. There is a ton of information here.....it seems a friendly, fabulous site....and I look forward to learning as we go.

The adventure has begun......!

Welcome!! This is a wonderful website with years of knowledge from experienced people. I am new to chicks and have never had any. My chicks are going to be 1 week old tomorrow and I'm so addicted to this site!!!

Good Luck on with your babies!!!

Welcome to BYC - it is so neat that you're experienced with chickens already, and are starting a project with Chanteclers. Use the Search option on the blue bar above the forum to find others who have that breed.
You'll have fun here.

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I just watched a show on HDNet last night about BC. It is absolutely beautiful. They filmed it all from an aerial view. Breathtaking!! I've been to Vancouver, but had no idea about the other parts of the province. Would love to visit again someday!
smile.png

Susan

* Welcome! We understand your addiction here. The goofy stories and the goofier grin, the incessant chicken talk while other people roll their eyes, and having more pictures of your chickens than of your kids--- There's no cure, so be comfy, you'll probably be here awhile!!!
wink.png
yippiechickie.gif
:pop:weee:love:aww:hugs

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I hope to post pictures, but it will be a few weeks down the road. We pick up our Chanty eggs on April 23.....so a month before we will see any little peepers (it was darn near impossible to find Chanty eggs in Western Canada).

In the meantime we'll begin our coop building. I won't rush the building as we'll be staining and water sealing each individual piece before assembly. I can (not fondly) recall the red mite scenarios, so this henhouse will be built to withstand frequent and thorough scrubbing down. We're excited to incorporate all the new designs which maximize bird comfort and wellness. Nothing but the best for our girls to come.

Again, my thanks for the welcome.....I look forward to learning lots from everyone!

PS BearSwampChick.....come visit BC anytime.....there are many places beyond Vancouver that will take your breath away.

Last edited:
I've raised Chanteclers in the past and have 25 1-week-old buff chantecler chicks peeping in my kitchen right now. They are a nice, calm friendly breed.

The avatar picture is Buster the Chick Magnet, a buff Chantecler rooster at about 12 weeks old. His sister, Sneaky Pete (don't ask) used to like to hop up and sit on my lap as I sat outside in the summer during their evening free-range.

Wayne

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom