Building a coop in a barn stall

Pouring a concrete floor for coop could sure help that.
Then build walls and ceiling out of 2x2 framing and 1/2" hardware cloth.
That helps me...I never thought of using 2x2 lumber. Also when I click on your "My Coop", it is asking me to save a file. Is that a bug of the new system?

That helps me...I never thought of using 2x2 lumber. Also when I click on your "My Coop", it is asking me to save a file. Is that a bug of the new system?
Well, that's weird. Will report it.
Any other coop links you've had trouble with?
What device and browser are you using?

I just tried it and it's now working. Thanks!!!!
Last night was asking me to save a php file...on two different browsers. Will be spending my day off looking at coops to get ideas. Using 2x2 lumber has opened up a world of possibilities. :woot Will make things soooooooo much simpler.

I just tried it and it's now working. Thanks!!!!
Last night was asking me to save a php file...on two different browsers. Will be spending my day off looking at coops to get ideas. Using 2x2 lumber has opened up a world of possibilities. :woot Will make things soooooooo much simpler.
Good, thanks. Not sure what was up.

When I say 2x2's I mean ripped 2x4's...which are actually ~1.5" x 1.75".
Can be hard to find 2x2's at a lumber place, and thy are often really warped.
My local lumberman used to rip 2x4's for me, good quality 2x4's held their shape well when ripped.

The cons to a dirt floor is rodents digging up through them, and potentially predators. Both could be fixed with hardware cloth.

My big shed is half concrete and half dirt. We use gravel in some areas and deep litter in others. We deal with rats digging every fall, and we use poison to get rid of them.

So nothing wrong with a dirt floor, it just all depends on your situation.
Poison usually ends up killing more than your rats. Other animals eat the poised rays and then something eats that and so on. Unless you burn every single rat.

Dirt floor is fine, though with an existing rodent problem concrete could be desirable.

Do not fully-enclose and insulate the coop! Chickens need ventilation above all else (and insulation inside walls is perfect rodent habitat).

They need to be sheltered from direct drafts in cold weather, but the focus should be keeping them dry rather than keeping them warm.

You need at least 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult, standard-size hen. Ideally that ventilation should be above the chickens' heads when sitting on the roosts.

This will enable warm, moist air and ammonia to escape, keeping the air dry and fresh. :)

Dirt floor is fine, though with an existing rodent problem concrete could be desirable.

Do not fully-enclose and insulate the coop! Chickens need ventilation above all else (and insulation inside walls is perfect rodent habitat).

They need to be sheltered from direct drafts in cold weather, but the focus should be keeping them dry rather than keeping them warm.

You need at least 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult, standard-size hen. Ideally that ventilation should be above the chickens' heads when sitting on the roosts.

This will enable warm, moist air and ammonia to escape, keeping the air dry and fresh. :)
I stapled a strip of hardware cloth to and old picket fence for ventilation. I get a mouse in there every so often but I've only had one rat in my barn in 30 years. My wolfhound got it!

Back
Top Bottom