Building a coop, need advice.

EKemper1

Chirping
May 2, 2015
Florida
My biggest question is should I or should I not use treated wood at the base of my chicken run?

We are trying to find a way to keep digging predators out.

Suggestions?

We put the cement blocks down for the pressure treated posts

The modern treated wood is fine, the old stuff, treated with arsenic and creosote, is not. Basically, if you buy it new your ok. Treated is a must, IMO, for anything contacting the ground or covered with poop. Untreated will need frequent replacement.

My biggest question is should I or should I not use treated wood at the base of my chicken run?

We are trying to find a way to keep digging predators out.

Suggestions?
. Look through the posts in this section. Hardware cloth is recommended either dug straight down a foot or so or spread out into an apron attached to your base. If using the apron method 18" out or more. This pic shows how I did the apron method on my run. I stapled the cloth to the firing with my air stapler then
stapled and screwed it to my base. Make sure you use landscape stakes on the opposite end to secure the cloth to the ground

The modern treated wood is fine, the old stuff, treated with arsenic and creosote, is not. Basically, if you buy it new your ok. Treated is a must, IMO, for anything contacting the ground or covered with poop. Untreated will need frequent replacement.

Alright, thanks!

Thanks for all of your advice.
How about using Melamine boards for coop flooring? We're looking for coop flooring that is easy to clean.

I don't know why melamine would not work. We are using sheet goods (linoleum) put down on top of plywood subfloor. It will last about 20 years in a coop. I'm putting it in so the sides are covered vertically about 6 inches and seam sealing so nothing will leak.

If you use 4x8 sheets you would need to make sure the seams are well sealed on the floor and against the wall abutments.

I don't know why melamine would not work. We are using sheet goods (linoleum) put down on top of plywood subfloor. It will last about 20 years in a coop. I'm putting it in so the sides are covered vertically about 6 inches and seam sealing so nothing will leak.

If you use 4x8 sheets you would need to make sure the seams are well sealed on the floor and against the wall abutments.
X2 use linoleum. You can find discontinued or left over stock at a building supply store discounted. Melamine is particle board in the middle, if you have a void in the plastic surface it will swell up. Use plywood or strand board for you under flooring with linoleum

Back
Top Bottom