Building a coop...... What were we thinking?????

I'd checked sittercity.com a while back wondering if we could get chicken-knowledgeable sitters for vacations. We've used a petsitter for our cats for years but I doubted we'd find poultry sitters. But they were there! I think you can search by type of animals and read people's bios and experience. This is what I plan on using for our getaways. I like our yard and all, but nothing compares to a Caribbean escape when it's chilly and gray for months here. :)

We are new to keeping chickens, too. My four year old son was found to be allergic to cats and dogs, so we thought keeping chickens would be a great alternative for pets with benefits.

After much research into breeds, we chose Australorps, Barnevelders, EEs and Welsummer chicks and kept them in the basement while my chainsaw carpentry skills hammered out a coop. I've got the birds living in it now while I finish up minor details and prepare to wire their run. They spend time in a temporary tractor eating dandelions that my son feeds them during the day.

It's been a great experience to date, along with many challenges as well. We recently had to get rid of two cockerels, due to city regulations and keeping my promise to our neighbors that all roos would go. Unfortunately, my son really loved one of them and it was a real challenge explaining to him that the roo had to go.

My wife has decided I need to build my son some type of outdoor structure thanks to my newly acquired building skills and I'm looking forward to it, whatever it may be. We are also really excited about the upcoming arrival of eggs in about a month as well.

Looking forward to the experiences that lay ahead of us keeping chickens!

We started a major remodel of the house at the same time as our coop. And you ask what your were thinking?
roll.png

Good luck. It will all be worth it.

KJF

Thanks for the idea to contact "sittercity.com". I will look into it. Right now, we are just working, working, working on the coop and encountering new situations daily.... go figure. But, it's coming along and we hope to have the little ones inside in a few more days. It's getting hotter here each day and I would love to have them out running around in the sunshine, but that would take at least an additional day to make a temporary pen for them. We will see how it all goes, I feel sorry for them being inside a huge cardboard box in our shop right now (during the day, anyway).

Hi fricknfricassee....we too have been married for 35 years and honestly found this project has taken so much longer than either of us ever dreamed...one thing leads to another (landscaping, electrical placement., security etc.) There was a point we sat down and said "this is nuts"! Where did all our weeknights and weekends go for the past few 3 months...lol We are ALMOST done at this point...insulation, wall board, and the poop tray/board left to do. Hopefully, this weekend it will be DONE... Shhh......did I say that or is it really just wishful thinking. A trip in a couple of weeks is planned to Seattle to bring our grandchildren for a visit and I am panicked thinking WHO will watch our girls!!
hu.gif
We, like you have often wondered "what were we thinking". At least you are not alone.. Good luck, and I think once it is all complete we can all say it was worth it!

Hi fricknfricassee....we too have been married for 35 years and honestly found this project has taken so much longer than either of us ever dreamed...one thing leads to another (landscaping, electrical placement., security etc.) There was a point we sat down and said "this is nuts"! Where did all our weeknights and weekends go for the past few 3 months...lol We are ALMOST done at this point...insulation, wall board, and the poop tray/board left to do. Hopefully, this weekend it will be DONE... Shhh......did I say that or is it really just wishful thinking. A trip in a couple of weeks is planned to Seattle to bring our grandchildren for a visit and I am panicked thinking WHO will watch our girls!!
hu.gif
We, like you have often wondered "what were we thinking". At least you are not alone.. Good luck, and I think once it is all complete we can all say it was worth it!
Thanks for the nice reminder. We must be ready to settle down into our "comfortable part of life" and chicken keeping is where we are headed. Being retired for nearly 2 1/2 years, well, it seems like we are just beginning to live, doing what we want instead of what we have to do to make a living. We are close to building our Poop Deck, as well. Each day we begin with lots of energy and each day we can see some headway. This will all be worth it, I'm sure, but it is certainly taking longer than we ever imagined. It is the "finish work" that is tedious and time consuming. We are getting there. Good luck with your project. This is a great community to belong to and share information, ideas. It probably keeps most of us "sane".

Well, if we hadn't have gone through a remodel on our home several years ago......... we probably would have divorced over this chicken coop. It's amazing how we
differ on ideas and plans for how things are supposed to come together. Good luck to anyone, and I do mean it, who is venturing into building their own coop. All will
work out in the end. Believe me!

vacation? chicken sitter? LOL, my sister moved to Kentucky and told me the other day to put my dog and crate in the truck and go on a roadtrip. I told her I would have to bring the chickens too
thumbsup.gif
... I took my parakeets to my mothers and after all, these were just 'big birds'

I suppose you're right...... no more vacations for us! Today is like a "mini-vacation" because it's raining off and on and we are taking the day off from
working on the coop. It feels GREAT! Some of the "little ones" are out in their temporary pen which is covered with plastic and they seem happy as
larks. Tomorrow is supposed to be dry and we will hit the coop project with new energy. I cannot wait to post our photos of the completed project.

Back
Top Bottom