Building a Coop

mollychick2013

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2013
We are about to embark on our first chicken(s). We've been researching and learning all we can for a little while now and now we will be building a coop.

Any pointers for a coop? Not too worried about the coop as its a pretty simple build, but pointers are great. :)

We are about to embark on our first chicken(s). We've been researching and learning all we can for a little while now and now we will be building a coop.

Any pointers for a coop? Not too worried about the coop as its a pretty simple build, but pointers are great. :)

Plan for poopboards with pdz (for ease of cleaning and smell control). It was the single best thing I did for mine.

Put in more ventilation than you think you may need. Even if you are in a cold climate.

Make it twice as big (at least) as you think you will need (see post above!, so true.)

Anything you can do to make cleaning it as easy and as quick as possible.

If anything becomes a chore with cleaning you are likely to start dreading it and then time between clean outs will become further and further apart.

What are poop boards?

Check out this thread about combining poopboards with pdz for the ultimate reduction of smells, and ease of cleanup

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures

I love mine. I clean them out every day for about 2 minutes while I check my chickens feed and water and spend some time with them. Some of them will jump up the board and inspect my work, pecking at the littlr bits of poop that I may have forgotten to scoop out, while chattering incessantly at me. I like to imagine they are telling me all about their day, what nice tidbits they found in the yard and how Rosie was mean to them when they were dustbathing.

Since the majority of poop in the coop gets dropped on the boards at night, I only have to change the bedding in the coop itself only once a year - I could go even longer but like to give everything a good scrub at least once a year. So far I have not had any issues with parasites, flies or other creeping/crawling critters. I will occasionally sprinkle some DE on the board and the floor of the coop, as well as in the run, especially when it gets warmer.

So much great advice! This is fantastic. Its so great to get these pointers, hopefully we will wind up with a great functioning coop.

I installed electric in my coop as well as overhead lights. For the use of heaters for the water in cold weather. Also if you install automatic door openers outlets are needed. Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom