building a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by antonaustin1, Dec 2, 2013.

1. antonaustin1

antonaustin1 New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    hi guys, im going to be making a coop soon, can you give me some advise and pictures. this coop is going to be for about 4-6 hens they will be bantams. thanks
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    First question is, where are you? I would build a completely different building in New York than I would here.

If you go in your profile, you should find a box labeled "location" that you could put a general location in.
  3. antonaustin1

antonaustin1 New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    In the uk, an averaed sized garden
  4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    These free plans might be a good jumping off point for your planning.

Even in the UK, the climate can vary. That is why location is so informative. In the US, we refer to the open area around a house as a yard. To most of us, a garden is a specific part of the yard where plants, not grass, are grown.

Let's see, two countries separated by a common language.

5. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    I would start by looking here, lots of ideas and pictures to get you started.
  6. Diggidy

Diggidy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    I agree this website is a great resource. My 1st coot was a Pawhut piece junk. After seeing what everyone else was making i felt i could make something too.

I finished my new coop, its 10x's better and a lot of the basic questions like how big should the coop entrance be were answered here. I haven't made the nest box yet b/c my birds are only 2 months old, but i will post pics soon.

Keep in mind, if your like me it will take you 5 times longer to build than you think. On the plus side i feel like i easily saved myself $500, have something strong and to my tastes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by