Building a covered chicken run?

Lover duck duck

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
We are building a 10’ x 20’ run with a covered roof for our chickens. We put 4x4 post in the ground with concrete. We will be using 2x6 pressure treated wood as the horizontal boards. My question is why do some people place the boards between the post and others place against the post on the outside? Is there a specific reason? Which one is better to do? I will also be using 1/4” hardware cloth all around. Thanks.

It is easier to fasten the cross boards to the surface,,, rather than to the ends. (between the posts)
With the boards between the posts, you have a flat plane, onto which to staple/fasten the HC. Attaching the cross boards can be done,,,, but is slightly more challenging, over the placement on the surface of the post.
With the boards placed on surface of post,,,, attaching is simpler, (also stronger in my opinion) but you end up with an uneven plane. Remedy for that,,,, place/attach 2" x2" lumber in-between the horizontal boards onto the posts. (you can also use 2 x 4 lumber if you have supply. I just mentioned 2 x 2 for sake of using less lumber) You end up with a post that is 6 inches thick, allowing you to easily fasten your HC, flush to surface.
Do what you feel you are comfortable constructing. :frow
I can do both methods, but would personally do the horizontal boards placed against the posts. I also am a BIG advocate for using screws.
Hope I made myself clear in explanation. If not, then ask, and I can possibly lay out some lumber and take pictures, and explain that way.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

It is easier to fasten the cross boards to the surface,,, rather than to the ends. (between the posts)
With the boards between the posts, you have a flat plane, onto which to staple/fasten the HC. Attaching the cross boards can be done,,,, but is slightly more challenging, over the placement on the surface of the post.
With the boards placed on surface of post,,,, attaching is simpler, (also stronger in my opinion) but you end up with an uneven plane. Remedy for that,,,, place/attach 2" x2" lumber in-between the horizontal boards onto the posts. (you can also use 2 x 4 lumber if you have supply. I just mentioned 2 x 2 for sake of using less lumber) You end up with a post that is 6 inches thick, allowing you to easily fasten your HC, flush to surface.
Do what you feel you are comfortable constructing. :frow
I can do both methods, but would personally do the horizontal boards placed against the posts. I also am a BIG advocate for using screws.
Hope I made myself clear in explanation. If not, then ask, and I can possibly lay out some lumber and take pictures, and explain that way.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Thank you for your response. I always use screws for everything. Could I just stretch the hardware cloth over the post then attach the horizontal boards against post instead of doing the hardware cloth on top of horizontal boards?

Thank you for your response. I always use screws for everything. Could I just stretch the hardware cloth over the post then attach the horizontal boards against post instead of doing the hardware cloth on top of horizontal boards?
That is an IDEAL option as well. Then staple the HC. from inside to the horizontal . :thumbsup
Fast,,,,, Easy,, and,,,, Strong/sturdy

I went toward notching the post for my beams - so they have wood underneath the beam and not relying on hardware to hold things up over time. Also everything ends up flush for mounting the hardware cloth. 1/2" HC is technically stronger then 1/4" and doesn't clog up with debris and get dirty as fast

Back
Top Bottom