Building a Duck Aviary

DaKid

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Berkley , Ma.
Hello I;ve been reading up and thinking on getting some ducks to my collection of turkeys and chickens next spring
big_smile.png
. I've seen some duck pens or aviary build with a cold fram , so this started me thinking
hmm.png
I know I read that most have use wood or metal pipe, I have about 4 doz. lengths of 1" pvc pipe hanging around and elbows and T's or 4 ways so I started to fram this thing up gluing and screwing each joint and connection together, I place 4 upright from the ground to the top bow. ( pic.'s coming soon on the fram )
I'm going to end up with an aviary fram about 50' long by 16'width by 10 ' high . I going to rap the whole thing in coated wire about 1" to 2" hex or sq. wirer.
I plan on putting a plasic goldfish pond of 250/300 gallons for there pond which is 18" deep an about 7-8' long by 5-6 feet width ,this should be a good swimming hole for them.

I plan on getting Mandarin , Woods , and Black East Indies Ducks .
wink.png

My real question is about the land scape, where Im placing it will get sun and shade all day long plus there some big big maple tree's there too.
But I want to plant some more landscaping , like ornament grass -- like large maiden grass, zebra or porcupine grass ,pink pampan grass and red star spike , maybe some small trees and shrubs but not sure what migth be poisons to them if there do eat it .
what plants or grass do ya'll have in ur duck aviary.

any suggustion or information would be greatly thankful
smile.png

Thanks
Alan

I am building the same thing right now...i got metal coldframe pipes...right now i have the pond in and tomorrow we are doing as much as we can...it will be 30'x12' and 8' tall in the center. It will be covered with 1 inch heavy knotted flight netting from 3t products...i'm just wonder about the snow load on your aviary and will it hold up being pvc?

.i'm just wonder about the snow load on your aviary and will it hold up being pvc?

thats why I place upright pvc polls on most of the archs ways,

I use deer netting over my chicken run and it a flat netting roofing and most of the snow does go thru but when I water and feed them i just hit the 6' high top roof netting and the rest of what snow fall thru it. work for the last 3 yrs for them.

but thats why I was going to go with coated wire 1" hex so the snow should not build up like the deer netting and will be stronger plus the arch should help too plus the large trees where it is being place ,

It will be covered with 1 inch heavy knotted flight netting

I would be afraid using netting that high up ,to high to hit it off like the chicken run that's why I thinking of using the coated wire with the snow in my area .​

I would consider checking with the manufacturer before I did any more work. PVC pipe is notorious for turning yellow and then brittle after a few years of exposure to the elements and will tend to shatter under load stress.

Bossroo
Today 11:06 am I would consider checking with the manufacturer before I did any more work. PVC pipe is notorious for turning yellow and then brittle after a few years of exposure to the elements and will tend to shatter under load stress.

thanks, I when out to day and check out my PVC pipe the type I'm using is Grey SCH40 Rigid Sunlight Resistant Electrical Pipe for above and below ground uses So it should stan up to the sun light and not turn yellow or brittle .
I also spray paint the grey pipe all black the only pipe is the 4 ways and 3 ways there where white water pipe but like I stated I glue them and also screw each joint both sides.

I feel the snow won't be a problem due to I have use deer netting above my 6' high fence above the chicken run and most of the snow goes though it and when it does snow when i feed them daily I just shake what is left on there due to some leave are up there cuz it's a flat netting roof .

I think I will have more problems if a branch falls off the large maple trees and I was to use netting than using the 1" coated wire which I thinking on looking for a 1.5 or 2" coated wirer so the snow for sure will not build up on the bowed roof .

I post pic.s of the started fram as soon as I fine out how small they need to be .​

Last edited:
Ok I think I found how to post pic.'s here goes a test pic.;
tongue.png

15149_dsc08333.jpg

great it work
lol.png

ok this is the site where I going to place the Duck Aviary, as you can see the pvc pipe is being fram up.

15149_dsc08337.jpg

15149_dsc08351.jpg

like I stated I have glue and screw all joints and up-right center poles ,
15149_dsc08370.jpg

This is the back half which I am using the wooden fence as the back with the pipe attach to the top main post ,I drill out the center 4" deep and place the poles in it and place a screw on each side of the 4x4 post to attach it .
15149_dsc08354.jpg

15149_dsc08353.jpg

more pic.'s to come

Alan

Last edited:
Luna_Chick66
Today 8:39 pm oh wow... this looks like it's going to be awesome!

I'm gonna take notes because I want a couple ducks next year.

becky3086
Today 8:35 pm Looks great so far! Can't wait to see more.

Thanks I'll keep U'll posted on how I do but the real test will be this winter when I do get it all done to see if it will whole up to the cold weather -n- winds up here in MA.
Thats why I am building it now and not placing any ducks in untill next spring of 2010, if it works-- then it will be a go for the ducks herd .

My real question is about the land scape, where Im placing it will get sun and shade all day long plus there some big big maple tree's there too.
But I want to plant some more landscaping , like ornament grass -- like large maiden grass, zebra or porcupine grass ,pink pampan grass and red star spike , maybe some small trees and shrubs but not sure what migth be poisons to them if there do eat it .
what plants or grass do ya'll have in ur duck aviary.

But I still need some Infor. on planting some more plants , sm. shrubs, and lg. growing ornament grasses.

Thanks
Al.​

But I still need some Infor. on planting some more plants , sm. shrubs, and lg. growing ornament grasses.

I don't know much, but I think the ducks will eat alot of what gets planted.... so I've heard.​

Back
Top Bottom