Building a Large Run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fluffychicky, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Fluffychicky

Fluffychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    I don't know where to start, I have 12 chickens (had 13) and I'm terrified of hawks even with my 2 roosters they've gotten bold and killed one of my hens. I now only want to allow them to free range when I can watch them but I don't want to keep them in a small run for 12 hours while I'm working. I need something big that they can stay in days at a time if need be, and I need to be able to hawk proof it with either some kind of netting or fishing line. I have no idea what kind of width x length I would need, if anyone is good at chicken math please step in and help me figure this out! Also how could I secure the netting without it caving in during the winter snow and ice?
    Thank you, and if you could reply soon it would really help ease my mind.

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    to allow yourself room for growth make a run that is about 10x20 feet. on the top run a 2x4 every four feet on center. use the 2x4's to attach poultry netting to - i use 4' netting and run it in the same direction as the 2x4. if you dont make a coop, make one area of the run to protect them from weather. for 12 chickens it needs to be at least 48 square feet, 6 feet at one end will probably be more than enough, and allow more room for growth.

you can also build a few small tractors, with these you can move the chickens to fresh grass. most people who free range have trouble with predators and eventually give up on it. with the tractors the chickens are protected for the most part, and usually get great nutrition if the tractors are moved properly.

3. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    This may be silly but 10x20 is width and length correct? And how would you get 2x4s to go across that length are there ones that are that long?

4. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    yes, 2x4's are sold in most stores in 2 foot increments from 6 to 20 feet long. and 10 feet x 20 feet are the outside measurements, good for approx. 20 chickens. depending on your finances, i like to build them 8 feet and surround the bottom 4-ish feet with wood. ill post a picture in a second.

5. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    Thank you that would be very helpful!

6. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG]

this is a picture of the side of my barn, ignore the second set of cages and light bulbs. you would just run the wire straight up. this keeps most predators out.

7. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    I'm guessing that is the side to shelter the chickens? Is the rest of the run open with just the netting and 2x4s over it?

8. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    yes, you would put on just a flat roof, im a breeder who has to seperate all chickens by breed. the picture is just for reference.

for an all wire run you would use 6 4x4 posts and 22 2x4's not counting a door. (i add one more post for a door)

9. Fluffychicky

Mar 26, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    Alright, my boyfriend can probably picture this better so I'll make sure he sees this. Thank you for helping me, hopefully we can have this done within the year.

10. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    if he has any questions, he can ask here on this thread or PM me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by