Building a Simple Fenced-in Area for My hens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by thotchkiss60, Feb 21, 2012.

1. thotchkiss60

thotchkiss60 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Hello All!

I have a coop and a small run, but I want to build a simple fenced area where i can keep my hens so they don't get into the gardens or poop on the patio furniture!! Can anyone give me some ideas?

My yard is completely enclosed, so I was thinking about just attaching a board to one wall, dig holes and put posts in every few feet, and then staple hard-ware mesh to the boards so nothing will get in the holes.

The hens will only be in this fenced in area when i am home, so I don't think it needs to be covered. Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chicken wire works great to keep chickens in and is relatively inexpensive. Most any predator can get through it, but if you'll be supervising, that may not matter. Posts every 6' or 8' should be enough as it is not heavy. Surdier fence will need them closer together. I'd recommend the 6' chicken wire unless yours stay a lot closer to the ground than mine do. Actually, mine will get over 6' fence if they really want to. You can use treated 2x4's for fence posts, again to save money, if you wish, though they won't last forever.

3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like it oughta work to me. My flock run shares one side with my so-called garden and all i have separating them is a 3' tall wire fence. The cluckers have never offered to go over it.

I'm sure others will disagree but...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by