Building a Winter Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Big Bubba, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Big Bubba

Big Bubba Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    I'm planning on building a winter coop for my hens. I have 4 RIRs.

The area already exists. At the back of my house I have a 6 foot by 6 foot area with 2 brick walls and a third wall now made of screen I intend to close with pressure treated wood. Now all I have to is build a front wall with a door and a window, and maybe some shelves.

My question is what should I do for a floor? The floor is made of concrete. Should I just throw pine sheddings down and clean it every day? Seems like a lot of work. Maybe a sand base?

I don't know what would be best. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I have sand in mine you can try either but the sand cleans easier with just a cat litter scoop. Some people swear by the deep litter with shavings, I guess it's just a preference.

1 person likes this.
  3. Big Bubba

Big Bubba Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    Yeah, I use shavings for the outdoor run. Works well for me. But, I like the ideal of sand for indoor use. Just seems easier to deal with especially since they'll be spending a lot of time there.

Thanks.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Where are you located? Climate can make a big difference.

Concrete can gather condensation, creating unwanted humidity, in cold climates and sand can freeze into an impenetrable layer.

Deep litter might work, wood shavings will absorb condensation and fecal moisture, just keep adding shavings and the chooks will keep it stirred up with an occasional turning by you...plan for an eventual depth of maybe a foot if you go deep litter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by