Building an incubator: Help with wiring...UPDATE: I'm done! :)

Quote:
No, do NOT add another extension cord... you've got everything right up to this point. The remaining open wire at your light needs to connect to the open terminal on the thermostat. If your wire on your light is long enough, you can connect it directly to the open terminal on the thermostat without using additional wire or wire nuts. Also, another note, keeping these thermostats close to your heat source(light) will help reduce the temperature fluctuations. Here's a quick drawing of how it should wire up.

33815_thermo_wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
No, do NOT add another extension cord... you've got everything right up to this point. The remaining open wire at your light needs to connect to the open terminal on the thermostat. If your wire on your light is long enough, you can connect it directly to the open terminal on the thermostat without using additional wire or wire nuts. Also, another note, keeping these thermostats close to your heat source(light) will help reduce the temperature fluctuations. Here's a quick drawing of how it should wire up.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/33815_thermo_wiring.jpg

Thanks! That helps it make more sense.
smile.png

You guys know so much about all this that I never knew! I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all the info you're sharing with me, even if some of it is a bit confusing. But I think now I understand it better. The diagrams help a lot with explaining it, especially since I have no experience with wiring.
Thanks again!

geosheets: when you say "the remaining terminal on the thermostat", does "terminal" mean the remaining screw on it? (there are 2 screws on it)

I don't want to add to the comfusion, but I built an incubator similar to yours. Hubby is here right now and I can ask him questions for you, he helped me quite a bit! You can see mine at my BYC page!

Quote:
yes, by terminal I mean screw

eta: make sure you don't have any strands of wire touching the other screw... when using an extension cord, it's a good idea to twist the strands of wire a little so they don't fray apart when you wrap them around the screw. Also, I'm sure you are aware but just in case... don't touch the exposed screws or any bare wire once this is plugged in. It will shock you and can be dangerous. I would recommend covering any exposed screws or wire with elctrical tape to keep from accidentally touching them.

Last edited:
OK thanks everyone I think I understand it much better now!
smile.png
I will update you on how it goes when I go to my mom's house and put it all together.

Hey everyone! I finished my incubator wiring and I got my mom to help me wire it.
wee.gif
The very last thing I need to do is put mesh wire over the light, thermostat, and fan to keep the chicks safe when they hatch.
smile.png
I'm going to post pics soon........

When I do, please let me know what you think.
thumbsup.gif

In mention of the lower hot water heater thermostat and temp control. That's what I use and it works great. Here's a pic of what my temps stay at. I did mount the thermostat very close to the 40 watt bulb though. As shown in pics below.

Back
Top Bottom