Building coop......question..pics added...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hoosiermomma, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Okay so I am working on putting up a shed/coop. It's one that we got for free off of CL , disassembled it and brought it here. It has been sitting out ever since and we've had some rain. Well for the most part the wood has dried but there are some pieces that have black(looks like mold) on it. The wood itself is still in good condition, not rotted or anything. Is there anything I can put on the wood to get rid of the mold? I'd hate to throw away a nice piece of plywood b/c of it. I was thinking of spraying it with bleach water and see if that helps. Any other suggestions? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. clucking chicken

clucking chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    maybe just paint over it if u have the time

3. wingman2008

wingman2008 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    bleach could do it
    sunlight will do it

if the coop shed will be well vented and will have a chance to dry out...

spray it with diesel .... it will help with the water resistant... needs to be dry before you do this

(this is my opinion)

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I would just spray with bleach, a lot of people on here suggest oxine - I've never seen it for sale though.

5. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I'd treat it with bleach/water. Will likely take several applications. And then I'd paint over it. Make sure you prime it well first. I like oil-based primer when used on wood for an outdoor application.

6. Hoosiermomma

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:Well where the shed is going to be located, there isn't alot of sun.....I'll see if I can't post a picture of it....

7. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Spray with bleach and leave it in the sun until it is dry. That should kill any and all mold.

8. Hoosiermomma

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This kind of gives you an idea of where the location is. I still need to take down a few trees to allow for more light but that is not a priority right now. The boards I was talking about are on the backside. I may just go out and buy two new sheets of plywood for that and then if the bleach solution works, use those for the roof.
    Any suggestions on what to use on the outside? I really don't want to get into siding it and right now there is like a flakeboard for it. What would be good to put over the flakeboard (plywood, luan board, ? ) so we can just paint it?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  9. BantyRooster

BantyRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Michigan
    You can use amonia, scrub it with a brush and rinse. Let it dry.

If the mold isnt heavy, just discolored on the surface you can just paint over it.

Use Kilz oil based sealer/primer. This is what professional water damage repair folks use to tread the studs in a house after they remove the damaged drywall & before repairing the damaged area. They just spray it on the wood without doing anything to clean it.

If it is just one piece of plywood it would cheaper and easier to just replace it.

I dont think the diesel fuel is a good idea. Just my two cents.

eta:

As far as your siding you would be further ahead to spend a couple more dollars a sheet ($5 vs. $10 a sheet) to use 1/2" CDX plywood which when painted will last much longer that OSB(chip board.)

The osb, even when painted, when exposed to weather will not last very long.
    The CDX , whick is rated for exterior use, will last years longer, 20 or more, if kept painted every 6-8 years or so.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  10. Hoosiermomma

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:Thanks for the info Banty rooster...I may just have to go with the CDX then. I need to get a job at Lowe's so I can do all that I want to with the shed and other improvements around here. LOL Good thing I know some of the managers down there. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by