Building door for chicken coop

tucker0104

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 6, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have my chicken coop built and am still needing to build a door for me to get into the coop. The opening is 30" wide by about 6 foot high. Any idea what the best way to build it so it is sturdy?

You could probably get a storm door insert at a Habitat Restore and put it in a wood frame. I built a couple like that for my coops and they are very solid. I covered the inside with chicken wire so, I can still open the drop down window on the doors.

How handy are you? I'm NOT but with a little research/youtubing I was able to comfortably build my own coop doors. My secret weapon is called a Kreg Jig. With that little toy, one is easily and securely able to join wood pieces together for strength and looks. My inside coop door is just 1x3s...four pieces to make the big rectangle that is the door and one cross-piece mid-height to strengthen. I then stapled chicken wire to it.

My run/pasture door was the same concept but larger/beefier. It was made out of six 2x4s....four making the rectangle that is the door and two cross-pieces for strength. Being that it is an outside door, I have 1/2" hardware cloth screwed to the 2x4s.

Back
Top Bottom