Building first coop and have run into some problems...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Debs55, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well this weekend me and my dad were going to start on our 1st chicken coop. however our plans have had to change due to cost restraints. so instead of 2 10x10 coops we are using an old raised pool deck that will be made into a 2 layer 8x8 coop. the problem is we will have about 40 chickens and i know this coop is alittle small if you go by the 4 square ft per bird rule but sine these chickens will only be locked in their coop maybe 4 days out of the year and have access to a very large run should this be a major concern?

By the way when i say 2 layer i mean it is basically 2 seperate coops stacked onto of each otherr and each one is 8x8

2. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

Can u get into the lower one to easily clean it out? 40 birds is quite a lot for a first coop, hope u r ready.

3. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Try getting some pallets. I've gotten some 12 ft ones free at our local medical supply house. Great free wood I also got free windows and doors by checking apartment /trailer complexes and Craig's list. My coop is 10x10 and only bought nails and screws.

4. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

well no i cant technically walk into the lower coop but since it will have several doors i dont think it will be too hard to clean, i will just have to use different doors to clean different parts. and yes i kow 40 chickens is alot but we are getting them over a span of 2 months and my dad and brother have had chickens before so i have a little help with that.

We have though about adding an additional smaller coop to the side, also since we are ordering half of them i suspect a few will not make it (poor chickies) so maybe it wont be that much of a problem. plus i live in GA so it rarely gets cold enough to where i would have to lock them in the coop...i mean i know its a problem i guess i just want peoples opinions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by