Building first coop! Need advice

ceubel

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 28, 2014
I drew up these rough drafts for a coop that I'd like to build, on the computer. I want it to look nice, but without spending too much money. I'm looking to have 5 hens and I need advise on like what wood to use? The size of the coop? And other errors in my design. Feel free to comment

http://poultry.purinamills.com/stellent/groups/public/documents/web_content/ecmp2-0160674.pdf

Here is Purina Mills coop design. You can match yours to that to check any design question. This one has good ventilation too which is the most common flaw to coops.

I went with a small tractor type run and coop originally and now have a coop on stilts in a pen which works better for me and provides more space for the birds when they can't free range, as in all winter. My pen is a 10X10X6 dog kennel with plastic fencing on top.

Thanks for the input! The linked helped a lot! I also have the option to reroute a creek in my backyard to flow through where the chickens would range close to the coop. Would it be worth it to do this? Would the chickens use it as a water source?

I drew up these rough drafts for a coop that I'd like to build, on the computer. I want it to look nice, but without spending too much money. I'm looking to have 5 hens and I need advise on like what wood to use? The size of the coop? And other errors in my design. Feel free to comment

How exactly did you draw these up on the computer? I am beginning to make plans for my new coop and if I could do this it would be helpful. Thanks?

I drew them up using an engineering software called CAD pro through my school. It's a software that I took classes to learn so it's hard to get good at and the software itself costs money:/ I'm currently working on a more detailed model. The software is like online LEGO's for adults..I can give u the link for a free trial if ud like? It takes up a bunch of space and u'd have to teach yourself how to use it :/

I drew them up using an engineering software called CAD pro through my school. It's a software that I took classes to learn so it's hard to get good at and the software itself costs money:/ I'm currently working on a more detailed model. The software is like online LEGO's for adults..I can give u the link for a free trial if ud like? It takes up a bunch of space and u'd have to teach yourself how to use it :/

Yes, please pass along the link and I will take a look. My brother is an engineer, maybe I'll recruit his help! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom