Building my first coop

mwisejsj

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
BC Canada
Hello all

I'm picking up 3 chicks on Friday that will be about a month old. I'm building an a-frame movable coop based on this design http://www.organicgardening.com/sites/all/themes/zen/og/pdf/coop_plans.pdf I'm hoping that this will be enough space for my chickens and will move them around the yard to new feeding grounds.

Am I nuts to think this will be enough? I live in the Lower Mainland of BC Canada, so temperature is pretty mild. Will the chicks be ok in here overnight or should I still have an indoor space for them until they are older?

Searching for wisdom

Mary-Anne

My chicks are 6 weeks old...I will be moving them out within the next week and our overnight temps are similar. I'm hoping that with enough bedding they will stay warm. But I am only a novice so I hope a pro comments :)

I'm not sure about the space, it looks large enough to me, especially if you are planning on moving it frequently.

Good luck!

I will admit to being nervous about the size, but they say it will hold 5-6 chickens and based on calculations from a thread on here, it seems big enough for the 3 of them.

Hope all goes well.

Mary-Anne

Seems like it should be plenty big enough for three chickens - there is 30 sq ft of outside space plus the inside space so that is over 10 sq ft per chicken. And if you move the coop to a new area daily or every couple of days, they should be fine. As for leaving the chicks in the coop overnight, it really depends on their size and amount of feathering. But with the coop closed up and the three of them there to help warm each other, I suspect they will be fine - especially if you put a deep area of litter (sawdust or hay) in one section of the coop so they can bed down in it.

Back
Top Bottom