Building my first coop!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by boat309, Jan 10, 2014.

1. boat309

boat309 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    south shore mass
    So this is my first post here but I have been on the form for a wile and I just want to say the info here is amazing!! So with that being said I am starting construction on my first coop and I had a few things I still wasent shure on. I plan on getting 6 jersey giants and the coop I am building is going to be 8x6 with a 15x8 run, that would gives the chicks 8 sq feet inside and 20 sq feet out side per bird. Will this be large enuff for the chicks I want? I was orignaly gunna make it 8x8 but I feel like that is very large and I'm trying to keep it on the smaller side so not to up set any one or draw attention to my self.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That will be plenty large enough. That way you can add more if you choose to. I've had from 5 to 12 birds in the same size building.
    Plan your dimensions so you can make use of 4X8 sheets of siding/plywood etc.. So you may want to go a few inches under 8 foot.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can check out the link in my signature for my thoughts on space, but what you describe should be plenty big enough. I’d be extremely comfortable with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by