building my own Botton Quail cages

skyape38

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Baltimore
Im thinking about building my own Cage for my button quail, Ive found out where i can get the hardware cloth i need. My question is where can i get the tray for the bottom of the cage?

I bought the trays that you use in Dog Kennel cages. I wanted higher sides than on those so hot glued 2" high pieces of Plexiglas sides on them.

My cages below are 23 1/2" by 18"

IMG_0323.jpg

They were still decorated for Christmas. lol

David

Considering it is election time, and the runners have those campaign signs posted everywhere, you should see if you can get some of those when they are done. They are made of coroplast, which is basically a plastic cardboard. Free, and easy to use. You can also check at grocery stores or tobacco shops, as their signs are usually made of the same thing.

thanks for the replies everyone you have given me a lot to think about will try all of the ideas lol. Im going to drive my dh crazy I already have 2 roos and 2 hens and more eggs in the incubator so im gonna make a double cage to start off with.

One of my Roos he is 10 weeks old now.
44218_male_quail.jpg
44218_roo_quail_2010.jpg

I only keep the light on at night because it gets cold in the house at night.
He is in a hospital cage there since he hit his head hard and was bleeding from the ears and head he has since been put in cage with a female

edit: the light is on top of the cage now not hanging in the cage.

Last edited:
Ahhhh ok Gotcha...
Yes if they are injured a little extra heat doesn't hurt as long as they're not too hot.
I have Boinkers too.. And what gets me is they'll do it a half dozen times until they realize it isn't getting them anywhere.. Silly little quail. lol

David

Back
Top Bottom