building my own coops from pallets and crates

kitty223

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 19, 2012
I need to know what I can put on the plywood floor of coop to protect it from moisture I plan on doing this in the next few weeks and my babies wont be here til June so probably not out in it til July is Thompsons water seal safe on the coop floor

another idea for your coop "flooring" is an old pool liner, Ive been using one for 2 years,cut to size,it works great,easy mainetenance,you can pull it out and wash off with a hose and scrub brush when needed. I also find it not quite as slippery as linolium.
I also put my bedding over it, I use pine chips from TSC.

Last edited:
If you coop is not elevated, why not just use a dirt floor? We built our coop out of pallets and covered it in painted OSB, shingled the roof and it is very dry. The only mositure that gets into the coop is from the chickens getting excited and banging into the hanging waterer. We put shavings down and clean it out with a rake and scoop shovel every week in the summer, we deep litter in the winter. You can check out our coop on our page.

We recommend a 1-2" layer of sand, to be placed on our elevated plywood floors. Then you can use a cat litter rake to clean out manure, and it leaves the sand. The sand keeps moisture out of the plywood, and keeps odor down.

My elevated plywood or OSB floors get covered with a few inches of pine shavings and no water inside.
I never have a moisture or cleaning problem so I've decided not to use a moisture barrier.
Keep in mind if water does get under that barrier, it will have no means to evaporate and therefore more opportunity for rot.

Back
Top Bottom