Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Pics
That plastic spray stuff looks interesting....any special prep you had to do?

Rained here most all day too....not hard tho really, no creeks.

Nope. This is really for coating tool handles, I think. Comes in clear, gray, red and all sorts of other colors. If one of the steel members has some oil on it, this may not stick well there, but so far, it's done very well.

Here is what it looks like on the posts. Remember, this was just a test, only one can of it and it went quite a ways, much more than pictured here. There was zero condensation in the building this morning. We were in the lower 40's. We did spread most of the floor with black plastic so the paver base was covered. I think that may have a LOT to do with the lack of moisture in there.

The pasture is eye-stinging green, love it! DH hung the fence back up all by himself this morning while I was making a quilted wine tote (a friend who makes a lot of homemade wine suggested trying one).

Does the insulation go between the outer metal siding and the structural posts?
Not sure you need to protect the posts from gathering condensation...usually only happens on surfaces exposed to the outer cold....I think.

Does the insulation go between the outer metal siding and the structural posts?
Not sure you need to protect the posts from gathering condensation...usually only happens on surfaces exposed to the outer cold....I think.

The reflective insulation goes from steel post to steel post, taped with special tape to seal it, no room behind them because the screws that secure the siding to the building go through the walls and into each steel post. The posts below the tops of the windows will be behind wall board. The steel posts, rafters/beams above that, in the loft area, will be exposed to the air inside the coop. They've had water droplets on them every day it's been cold, except for this morning. If I store hay up there, I don't want anything dripping on it so, though it may be overkill, I'd feel better coating them, as many as I can reach, with the rubberized stuff. Hope I'm making sense.

I also started using the paver base we have left over to make our walkway from barn up toward the house. The outer steel pieces are just to hold a form, not sure if they'll stay or be replaced with 4x4's or what. I just wanted a path that is better than mud. Could put some actual pavers on some of that but that will be later on.

Well, there ya go, that makes sense.....
....but do you know if it was the plastic on the floor, or the plastic coating, or a change in weather, that stopped the condensation?

Since I have only sprayed a small area of the steel posts/rafters with the coating, I'd say it was really the plastic on the floor. It was quite chilly last night after a very warm day. None of the rafters had any wet on them today. Tonight, it will be colder, so it will be tested further and in a few days, we're back into the 20's at night.

During research, I found numerous posts on various sites where people were complaining of tools rusting in metal sheds with gravel floors. Those people did not have a vapor barrier under the gravel and were told that was the reason, that moisture was wicking up through that base. I had to wait to put any plastic on the floor until the water intrusion was halted, of course, and the concrete gutter system we are putting in seems to have done the trick. We'll do the last side a couple of bags at a time since it was okay during this last rain even without it.

This piece of plastic has lots of cuts in it and doesn't go all the way across so I do need a second layer on top of it to really do it right. I just want to be sure that my birds have a dry environment. They're all used to that and with all the aged ones we have now, it's even more important that they live in the standard to which they've become accustomed.

Since I have only sprayed a small area of the steel posts/rafters with the coating, I'd say it was really the plastic on the floor. It was quite chilly last night after a very warm day. None of the rafters had any wet on them today. Tonight, it will be colder, so it will be tested further and in a few days, we're back into the 20's at night. 

During research, I found numerous posts on various sites where people were complaining of tools rusting in metal sheds with gravel floors. Those people did not have a vapor barrier under the gravel and were told that was the reason, that moisture was wicking up through that base. I had to wait to put any plastic on the floor until the water intrusion was halted, of course, and the concrete gutter system we are putting in seems to have done the trick. We'll do the last side a couple of bags at a time since it was okay during this last rain even without it. 

This piece of plastic has lots of cuts in it and doesn't go all the way across so I do need a second layer on top of it to really do it right. I just want to be sure that my birds have a dry environment. They're all used to that and with all the aged ones we have now, it's even more important that they live in the standard to which they've become accustomed.
That is strange to me, we have metal tools, metal farm machinery, metal vehicles, in our pole buildings with gravel floors, no rust. But, my dog grooming clipper blades will rust in my basement during the summer if it's too humid, so it could be a southern thing.

Yeah, I think if you block the ground moisture, the spray plastic on the structure may well be superfluous.
I'm going to do it anyway on the up-high steel that will remain exposed. Just makes me feel better, LOL.

That is strange to me, we have metal tools, metal farm machinery, metal vehicles, in our pole buildings with gravel floors, no rust. But, my dog grooming clipper blades will rust in my basement during the summer if it's too humid, so it could be a southern thing.
Maybe it is, I don't know. But, I hope we finally have this thing licked and can get on with it (when the coffers are replenished, that is).

I think structural steel is different than low carbon steel used for clippers, moms old butcher knife and what not.

Back
Top Bottom