Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Pics
And, it's raining...again. We got all the wet cleaned up off the black plastic, windows are either shut or have some of those plastic soffit panels in the lower part so air can get through but not rain and three buckets are under the three puddle locations where the roof leaks. We called the company to be sure we had the work order and it's in line, but of course, with the rain, they are behind schedule with their jobs. The office lady will call sometime in January when they will be back through Georgia and can get to us. Meanwhile, less rain in the schedule but lows in the teens and ICE coming after the first week of January. What is odd is there is still zero snow in our forecast through January. That could change, of course, with these temps plummeting, but we usually have at least one snow by the end of Oct/beginning of Nov. here.

In the middle of an all day long 'ice' storm here....luckily the ice is falling in pellets rather than liquid that sticks to everything then freezes.

We are having a nice blizzard, winds out of the south east, blowing snow in all our sheds, be a while before it goes back to coming out of the northwest like it should.

We went to Lowe's today to pick up a couple things and I said, hey, let's check out materials for the awnings we want to build. Immediately, I saw these, nothing that Home Depot has, of course, and BINGO! Instant awning! There were light duty and heavy duty. We got 5 heavy duty ones and just have to figure the best way to attach-inside there is a steel framing member directly over each window which they will be screwed into somehow. They will eventually need replacing, but at only $15.95 each, not a big deal, as long as they hold up in heavy winds, us using them for other than their intended use (as we always seem to do)-they are made to be window well covers for ground level basement windows. The light duty ones were $9.98.

Hopefully, high winds won't just rip it off the building, but this is easier than building 5 awnings right now.

We also picked up some Quikcrete to do the last ground gutter since, though it's going to be much cooler, it is supposed to stay dry for the next ten days or so.

Last edited:
Cool! I love using things for 'other than their intended purpose'.
All you can so is try, put one up and see how it works out....hopefully you have a rip raging storm to test your latest improvements.

What were you going to use??? Occ there are awnings on Craigs list.But most of time they are in a town not local. We got barins on our whole house full . Made two trips with trailer to get them all from former town where we lived for many years...
Hey never thought to use window ell covers... Did see awnings out of clear pvc on Ebay...
Mentioned to Hubby would like to have glass awnings or glass pergola top for the house. Otherwise our white awnings help from the blazing sun but deters winter sunlight... Wish he would raise the awnings at lest on the tall side of house.., He installed our used CList awnings with two kind of brackets fromTSC.. He is such a genius .. most times...I said cant you add a seond bracket higher up ?? for winter use...
Please let us know how it works out and how attached please

Playing catch up on your thread this morning. I've gotten behind on my reading and I've missed it.

Sorry about all the trouble your having with the rain run off, but sounds like the trenches will do their job. I know a lot of work went into making them. No easy task once you start getting a bit older. I know it's hard for me to do a lot of things I did just 2 years ago. It's just DH & I doing stuff around the house. It takes time getting everything done that needs doing.

Hopefully the company will be able to get to your place soon to fix the leaking roof. The leaks put a hold on doing much inside not knowing when they will be coming out. If it ain't one thing it's something else!!

Your new "awnings" look interesting. Sure would be a great time/money saver if they work.

How's your little hen doing?

Love your pics! The scenery is gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom