Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Pics
Good news on the delivery! Isn't it wonderful when things turn out better than expected!
yesss.gif

Good news on the delivery! Isn't it wonderful when things turn out better than expected!
yesss.gif

It is, but it was sure hard on DH's back for us to get all 90 studs and the 32 sheets of plywood in the barn, though, thankfully, it was only a few steps. He's soaking in a hot tub right now prior to filling chicken waterers before the big freeze tonight. We're expecting a little snow Monday and Tuesday but the supplies are in the barn and we can work in there in relative comfort (oil fired heater is in there, just in case).

We didn't get as far as I'd like, but DH's back gave out. This is harder than just nailing stuff since you have to drill into the steel framers before you can get a metal screw, even the self drilling ones, into it. At least, we do with the tools that we have here. So, it takes longer. But here is what we've done so far anyway. Guess we'll be finding "Oops!" paint in wild colors for the interior like we did the former bantam, now old hens' coop.

I must say that I was nervous letting Lowe's just pick out and deliver the lumber, sight unseen. We used to go through the entire store, looking for straight, untwisted lumber and sheets of OSB/plywood that wasn't de-laminating or had crushed corners. The studs and the plywood all look great! I'm very pleased with them. Home Depot would have screwed it all up, I bet. And sometimes, HD refuses to give military discount on some types of lumber so they didn't get this business. Lowe's has never refused the discount and I've never had any trouble from them in the past.

I saw a t-shirt for quilters online that really does sum up the quilting process, but it also really seems to fit this project, or any building project done by amateurs. It goes like this:

Measure twice, cut once, CURSE, repeat!
lol.png

I just completed the latest twin/daybed quilt and put it in Etsy last night, just in the nick of time to concentrate on the barn. This is the quilt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom