Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Pics
It looks GREAT! And my birds never seem to dislike my more Dr. Seuss-like effort in building.

Guess who showed up today and also thought it looked great...the tax assessor.
hmm.png
They said they were following up on the permits from the house fire (three years ago) that were all done wrong to see how the work was completed. Not my problem, not my job. Apparently, they thought there was no basement. There is and has always been a partial, non-heated basement, with a stand up crawl that takes up the rest of the space down there. It's in the county records, always has been, but there was no work done in the basement from the fire other than them painting the stairwell. They said there is no record of central heat/air. Well, when the house was built in 1994, there was a Trane heatpump installed. Still here, still works, but we very, very rarely turn it on since we heat with wood. So, again, not my problem that in all these years, no one apparently noticed the big, ugly box sitting on the outside of my basement wall. Seriously, it's in the tax record, but maybe not in the permit associated with the fire renovation, which doesn't supersede the standing tax record. They would not have renovated the house and removed the heatpump, geez. And, the guy says, so you have a porch on three sides, right? Um, no, it's on all four sides, always has been. How many eye rolls can I do before my eyes get stuck up there?

Seems that all the wood coops mean nothing, they do not tax those. They will, however, make note of the shiny, new steel structure and tax accordingly. Wasn't trying to hide it. I mean, you can hardly hide a building of that size, even if you don't get a permit for it (which we did). So, I expected it would be noted in the records and jack up the already stupid tax bill for my teensy 1100 sf 2 bedroom house.

I am waiting for them to notice the screened in porch (permited and inspected) present for 3 years - which still is not as far as I can tell being taxed, despite a reassessment done last year on all township properties. As you say, not my problem.

None of that ****(AC, fire repair, etc) should affect property taxes....might affect insurance...but what a bunch of dinks, watch em close and fight em if needed.

We already fought them a couple of years ago and won on the extra lots. They tried to jack up the taxes on completely unimproved wooded land by triple. Lots of improper stuff going on in this county. I don't own the largest lot but I do still have the pasture lot. That lot was taxed at just $35/year when we bought it and for years afterward. Now, it's $125 for just that one lot. Our home on 2 1/4 acres was taxed at only $298/year in 2002. Now, it's about $700/year. They removed all homestead excemption in one year and it doubled, then went up from there. So, we'll be watching to see what they do.

One more floor platform complete and the #6 pen floor mostly framed. DH's back ran out of steam. Next time, we'll finish that floor and the walls will go up on at least one pen.

Found more Oops paint at the same Walmart. The colors are so close, makes me think the same customer is having a terrible time picking out paint! First we had Soothing Green Tea and now, Granny Smith Apple.

And a casualty of the build... was outside on the ground in pieces for two days. DH tripped over something and caught the cord and it crashed to the floor. Today, when I joined DH in the barn to start construction, it was on the table and the radio was on, however, I doubt the CD player would work anymore.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom