Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Pics
Following... That is an amazing coop!
thumbsup.gif

-Banti

I am with y'all on not being crazy about the CFLs. Just another example of the government trying to babysit us.
sad.png

I will look at the kit today when I out but I am fairly certain you will be fine. If for some reason you start having a problem with the light kit or switch and you wanted to make a claim against the warranty they would probably tell you that you invalidated the warranty by not using a CFL . We have had Hampton Bay fans that are rated for outdoor use in the past and we have never had any problems so I am guessing you will never have to use the warranty.

Oh, I did find out that CFLs go as low as 2 watts, equivalent to maybe 25 watts of incandescent light. Might be a little too bright but it could work. I'd be willing to try one if I could find one with a standard size base. I agree on the Hampton Bay. I've had them before, very good products. This one was pretty hefty, lots of shielding above the sockets. As Tom was up on the ladder wiring it, I asked him if it appeared to be well-made and he said "very". He's installed quite a few fans in his day. We just have none inside that came needing CFLs. The outside porch lights do but they came in a multi-pack and trying to save when the renovation happened, we bought them, knowing they wouldn't be used that much. They do okay but they don't just come on at full brightness, as you know.

Have never really cared for fluorescent either, especially when I worked under them in a 'basement' with no natural light for 8 hours a day.
The flickering is awful...the newer ones have a much higher flicker rate and aren't as annoying.
I definitely hate that 'they' are trying to make them mandatory as the only thing available.
But they do save energy use and can light large area much more effectively.
Like everything else, there are pros and cons.

Have never really cared for fluorescent either, especially when I worked under them in a 'basement' with no natural light for 8 hours a day.
The flickering is awful...the newer ones have a much higher flicker rate and aren't as annoying.
I definitely hate that 'they' are trying to make them mandatory as the only thing available.
But they do save energy use and can light large area much more effectively.
Like everything else, there are pros and cons.

I know. And the main con is that I don't like them. I want my incandescents! WAAAHH!

LED bulbs would likely work too, although they are quite expensive right now. They are supposed to be long-lasting. Not sure about base sizes, but Ikea carries them.
I've never even seen an Ikea. Those are in cities, I guess. I found some lower wattage CFLs on Amazon and even Home Depot or Lowe's may have some, just have not checked yet. We'll see. I hate spending that much $$ on a lightbulb. (oh, excuse me, they call them "lamps", LOL). I bet I can find a CFL with seriously low wattage somewhere.

I took a look see at that fan in HD yesterday and it is sooo nice. It looks very well made. Unfortunately, I couldn't look at the actual light kit up close but the kit itself looks like it is big enough to put a 15w appliance lamp (LOL!! The GE rep beat it into us not to call them bulbs and it stuck!
big_smile.png
) without a heat problem. I didn't see any CFLs that are lower than 13 watts at HD but I did see a medium base incandescent night light, 7.5 watt for $2.43. It was a cute little thing, if you can call them cute.
wink.png

I took a look see at that fan in HD yesterday and it is sooo nice. It looks very well made. Unfortunately, I couldn't look at the actual light kit up close but the kit itself looks like it is big enough to put a 15w appliance lamp (LOL!! The GE rep beat it into us not to call them bulbs and it stuck!
big_smile.png
) without a heat problem. I didn't see any CFLs that are lower than 13 watts at HD but I did see a medium base incandescent night light, 7.5 watt for $2.43. It was a cute little thing, if you can call them cute.
wink.png
Maybe one of those night lights with the med base might work, thanks, Angela! I don't recall seeing one with the larger base, but I'll look!

If you don't see them at your HD, I will send you some. HD is just about 2 minutes from our house. I looked them up on Amazon and they are 4.86 each!! Gotta watch Amazon, that is twice what they are at HD. The ones I saw were GE 7.5 watt soft white night light S11. Let me know if you need me send 6 or so.

Back
Top Bottom