Building our Coop

Ed has been working in the rain and in the dark to get the coop ready for the girls. He has never built anything like this before so it has been a learning
experience and not without some aggravation.
Previously, whenever Ed saw a bird he shot it, but since he has been with me for one year he is changing his attitude about many things. He thinks the chicks are 'really cute' and they make him smile. I am glad he is going to enjoy the chicks as much as I do.

We gave the coop a clear roof so the girls will have light. We made a big overhang so we can stack firewood next to the coop.
I don't like chicken wire on the bottom because it can cut their feet but Ed said we need it to keep predators out so I agreed.
We put chicken wire 4 inches down and we are going to put 4 inches of dirt and straw on the floor so the girls can scratch.
Today we are going to put the siding on, then tomorrow make the door.
The chicks are one week old today so they will remain in the coop for a few weeks. We are building an open air yard so they can be outside in the daytime.
We live in a small RV Park so we hid the coop the best we can behind the trees.
6 Black Australorp 6 Rhode Island Red 5 Columbian Wyandotte

Attachments

• 0326201714.jpg
    0326201714.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 0403201546.jpg
    0403201546.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 0405201758.jpg
    0405201758.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 25
  • 0406201346.jpg
    0406201346.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 0406201937f.jpg
    0406201937f.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 0407201545a.jpg
    0407201545a.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Looking good.

Chicken wire is good for keeping chicken contained. However, It's easily breached by predators like racoons, mink, rats, etc.

Coons can reach through and grab a chicken, as well as rip through it. Weasels will just walk through it.

Installing HC( hardware cloth) 2x3' up the sides, and a HC apron will definitely help.
ReallyWantCoon.jpg.f99a3ce99573c5c90658523b75c7c073.jpg

Looking good.

Chicken wire is good for keeping chicken contained. However, It's easily breached by predators like racoons, mink, rats, etc.

Coons can reach through and grab a chicken, as well as rip through it. Weasels will just walk through it.

Installing HC( hardware cloth) 2x3' up the sides, and a HC apron will definitely help.
View attachment 2080320
This photo is not chicken wire. It is chain link fencing. My chicken wire has 1" mesh.
Isn't that sufficient? It is sold specifically for the purpose of keeping predators out
of the chicken house, correct?

This photo is not chicken wire. It is chain link fencing. My chicken wire has 1" mesh.
Isn't that sufficient? It is sold specifically for the purpose of keeping predators out
I've heard raccoon can pull apart the chicken wire because its basically twisted wire and relatively thin gauge. I'm new to this as well and really considered getting chicken wire as well due to cost. I guess there's a reasons hardwire cloth is 3x the price.

That photo was to show how a coon can reach through fencing and grab a chicken.

Poultry netting isn't specifically sold to keep predators out of a chicken house. It's sold to keep chickens IN a chicken house.

A coon can tear poultry netting. It not that strong. A coon can reach through poultry netting and grab a chicken. Search poultry netting or chicken wire in the predator and pest section, and you'll find many post where it's failed. Minks and weasel can easily fit through poultry wire.

If you're area is free of predators, poultry netting should work well. If not, an HC apron that extends 2-3' up the sides and 18" along the ground is a good idea.

That photo was to show how a coon can reach through fencing and grab a chicken.

Poultry netting isn't specifically sold to keep predators out of a chicken house. It's sold to keep chickens IN a chicken house.

A coon can tear poultry netting. It not that strong. A coon can reach through poultry netting and grab a chicken. Search poultry netting or chicken wire in the predator and pest section, and you'll find many post where it's failed. Minks and weasel can easily fit through poultry wire.

If you're area is free of predators, poultry netting should work well. If not, an HC apron that extends 2-3' up the sides and 18" along the ground is a good idea.
Is that 18" inside or outside the fence? My veggie garden has the critter fencing on the inside but most videos I've seen for predator fencing is on the outside

Is that 18" inside or outside the fence? My veggie garden has the critter fencing on the inside but most videos I've seen for predator fencing is on the outside

Outside. A coon, fox ECT will automatically try to dig at the base of the coop or run. They don't know backing up will give them easier digging.

My veggie garden has the critter fencing on the inside but most videos I've seen for predator fencing is on the outside
Is not a 'critter' a garden predator?
Apron always better on outside.
Might also need apron(or something) on inside of chicken run to keep them from digging under the outer apron.

My chicken wire has 1" mesh.
Are you sure? Second pic in first post looks like 2" to me.
How big is the coop itself?

Welcome to BYC! @Terri McAlinden
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1586464948050.png

Is not a 'critter' a garden predator?
Apron always better on outside.
Might also need apron(or something) on inside of chicken run to keep them from digging under the outer apron.
Couldn't I just lay the fencing flat on the ground, then wood across it so it's on both sides to start?

Back
Top Bottom