Building our first coop in the spring

woods79

Songster
7 Years
Dec 8, 2015
Maine
We are building a coop in the spring here in Maine, USA. I have looked through a lot of the threads here on other places on line on building a coop. I want to give a run down on my plans with hope of refinement before spring.

Building a walking style coop that will measure 8 ft x 8 ft with 6 ft high walls the roof Will be sloped to the back using some reclaimed rafters from a demo project, as will a most of the other materials. I have some old 1/2 window sections I will put in for natural lighting plus they will be hinged and the opening lined with hardware cloth to open for ventilation in the summer months. I plan to put in eve venting for year round air flow. I have an Intex 15 foot X 48 inch Metal Frame Pool that busted last year I am planning on using the side walls on the lower part of the building to keep out draft and the pool floor liner to line the coop floor for east wash out.

In side the space, I am going to reserve a 3 ft x 5 ft space for feed storage and supplies, the rest will be for the chickens. Have not planned roost or nesting boxes but will once I start drawing things out. I am planning a guillotine style door for the chickens to enter and exit. Not sure if this is any thing any one has done but was thinking of another guillotine door on the back side for a clean out door that I will lock when not in use.

My main dilemma is keeping the coop cool in the summer, property has no shade, I plan on putting a tin or fiberglass roofing on some of the out door pen for some shade and plan to position the coop and pen so the coop with shade it some but how can I keep the coop cooler inside? Should I insulate the walls??

Any tips, suggestions or links to threads that may help would be great. I will post in the Maine thread to get a little more local help.

Thanks,
Daniel

I have just about outlined my coop I built this spring except I don't have a storage area. I live near Skowhegan, Maine. I insulated mine and have the slanted roof. In the hot days of summer I put in a box fan and suspend a window fan in front of the front windows to move air.

Here in Maine your concern will mainly be humidity getting trapped in the coop in summer, making the poo stink and necessitating frequent cleanups. If you have great ventilation, the problem mostly solves itself. That said, shade won't hurt, and can be as simple as a wooden overhang or lean to. Good luck!

Check out My Coop page, linked under my avatar.

Might want to raise the building up a couple feet so they can go underneath to escape the heat/sun.
Insulating roof and maybe walls on south side could help with coop heat.
Careful planning of ventilation will help too.

My coop is under construction, I know in the winter I don't want drafts down low but in the summer is it OK to have vents down low that can be closed up in the winter?

Also is it OK to use cedar post for the outside pen up rights, I do not want to use pressure treated lumber

Last edited:
My coop is under construction, I know in the winter I don't want drafts down low but in the summer is it OK to have vents down low that can be closed up in the winter?

Also is it OK to use cedar post for the outside pen up rights, I do not want to use pressure treated lumber
Yup and Yup.

I wonder how those floor vents for forced air systems would work? Easily opened and closed...you could put a few in at lower levels and then easily adjust from outside...thinking at lower part of an outside wall with hardware cloth on inside opening and solidly secured? only issue as with any lower vent system would be bedding getting in there...

Just a thought!

what to use on floor??? Shavings? Sand? or hay? I have seen in other forums some use sand and they say it is easy for clean up, I know a lot of folks that use a combo of hay and shavings or just shavings. anyone have pros and cons on these materials?

I would not use sand on the floor in your climate....it's good to use on poop boards tho.
Depends on how you plan to manage the manure.
I like dry wood shavings on floor, totally change out once or twice a year, but I use a poop board under roosts.

Back
Top Bottom