Building our own coop

By open, I meant not a solid wall. Heres a pic I snagged off the interwebs of one way a coop wall can be open:
View attachment 3139663

I have an auto coop door, but it runs on battery. It opens just after sun up and closes just after dark, but the sensor is adjustable.

And I'm glad you are using transom vents. I had ones that were 6 ft long and 6 in high on my last coop, which was only a 4x8. I have an 8x8, too. I cut 6 windows just under my eaves that equal about 18 sq ft of vent. I have a security gate on my coop, so that helps.

And I understand about predators. I have pretty much every predator out: skunks, snakes, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, possum, bears, owls, hawks, eagles, mountain lion, and even the occasional wolf. And roaming dogs. Ugh. I highly recommend electric fencing if you have coyote.
Btw I like the look of that coop! For sure couldn’t do that out here! I so wish I could!

Oh yes!

I have heard coyotes behind my house though I've never seen them and we have roaming dogs tear into the trash from time to time. I'm so glad we went with the electric poultry netting!
When you do the netting, what all do you need to have in the setup? I have seen separate chargers and ground poles, but I wasn't sure if the netting came as a kit with everything you need? vs. knowing what to purchase separately to complete the setup?

When you do the netting, what all do you need to have in the setup? I have seen separate chargers and ground poles, but I wasn't sure if the netting came as a kit with everything you need? vs. knowing what to purchase separately to complete the setup?

I bought the kit from Premier 1. They have great customer service and helped me choose exactly what I needed.

Btw I like the look of that coop! For sure couldn’t do that out here! I so wish I could!
I really think you could, but if you feel like you can't, then that's really what matters. Peace of mind is important!

I bought my first kit from Premier1. I also have additional fences from Starkline (I really like the Starkline posts) and Rent-a-Coop. I have about 2 acres fenced between the chickens/ducks and the goats.

Night is when chickens need ventilation the most because they're inside with the ammonia from their poop and the moisture from their poop and their breath. :)

You don't want the wind blowing across their roosts, but as long as they are dry and out of the wind chickens readily tolerate cold down to at least 0F when acclimated to it.
So important. Folks seem to think the chickens need to be closed in to keep warm when the opposite is better for cold climates. Just keep them dry, well-ventilated, and out of drafts. Ventilation is KEY.

I really think you could, but if you feel like you can't, then that's really what matters. Peace of mind is important!

I bought my first kit from Premier1. I also have additional fences from Starkline (I really like the Starkline posts) and Rent-a-Coop. I have about 2 acres fenced between the chickens/ducks and the goats.
I don’t think I could. The winters here get pretty bad. We have so much openness that there is always wind. It’s always about 10pm faster than what is indicated by the news station. It’s nice in the summer because even if it’s hot you get a nice consistent breeze. Winter, the wind is still there but obviously coming from the North and much colder.

We will only have the chicken coops fenced in. At one point there was a hug barn here that had cows and pigs in it and lord only knows what else. Now there is just a very big concrete slab. One side of our house was pasture but we put peach and apple trees out there and a bunch of grape vine. My mom is wanting us to get some goats but I’m not sure yet. I really need to get a better handle on the chickens first lol

Think about how hot an attic gets on a sunny summer day. :(

This is my brooder. It's 4'x8' with 16 square feet of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation under the little awnings, not including the 10 square feet extra I get when I open the flaps on the door and the vent wall: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

cover-image

It's completely draft-free at chick level with the flaps down even though the vents under the awnings are never closed.
Attics do get hot but these guys will have more ventilation than an attic will get. I also forgot to mention and didn’t think of the fact that you all can’t see the massive oak tree. It starts shading the hen house just about the time it gets to the hottest part of the day. That will help. But we aren’t completely done with the coop yet and the back still need work done to it. We put the plywood up there really to keep the rain from getting into the nests and ruining any of it.

Attics do get hot but these guys will have more ventilation than an attic will get. I also forgot to mention and didn’t think of the fact that you all can’t see the massive oak tree. It starts shading the hen house just about the time it gets to the hottest part of the day. That will help. But we aren’t completely done with the coop yet and the back still need work done to it. We put the plywood up there really to keep the rain from getting into the nests and ruining any of it.

Shade is excellent!

Here is an update of what we have done. Been so busy with other things. We have a lot of projects going on….

We put fencing around the bottom of the coop, started fencing for the run, planted some rose bushes and herbs around where the outside of the fence will be. Still working on some of the back wall.

Attachments

• E325E308-3963-44AB-8DD2-764DD7C5A38E.jpeg
    E325E308-3963-44AB-8DD2-764DD7C5A38E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Another update:

Have the box doors on. Just need locks on it. The ventilation for the back still needs done. The front door is on, but locks need to be put on it too. And we are adding chicken wire to the top part of the run.

We still need to add a skirt and some hot wire to the bottom of the run. And of course the door for it.

** don’t mind the stuff in the run, kids playing 😂

Attachments

• 3D015C83-86E9-4C2A-9173-D5377613A137.jpeg
    3D015C83-86E9-4C2A-9173-D5377613A137.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 6D9BA4EF-B180-4318-BB24-831358EC6AEB.jpeg
    6D9BA4EF-B180-4318-BB24-831358EC6AEB.jpeg
    966.9 KB · Views: 2
  • A632AEC5-7343-4687-BA89-0046A1BE91AE.jpeg
    A632AEC5-7343-4687-BA89-0046A1BE91AE.jpeg
    767 KB · Views: 3

Back