Building permit needed?

Knock Kneed Hen

California Dream'in Chickens
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
So. Cal.
I just asked a neighbor to come over to scrape a pad for a 12 x 12 coop I'm building. He asked about it needing to be permitted....I don't know....the state (I'm in San Diego County, CA) website doesn't give any specific information.
I wanted it on a pad to prevent wildlife from getting in and because of the high winds we have. I don't want to hassle with a permit. We put a wrap around patio around the house without a permit and a 12 x 12 boxstall without one.
We're on 4 acres and the coop is going to be in the middle of the front half of the property. Anyone know if a 12 x 12 has to be permitted?
fl.gif

Check with the local code people. Often, if you set the structure on a pad, a permit is required with restrictions. Placed on skids (4x4, 6x6) often do not need a permit and far fewer, if any, restrictions. But California is it's own animal...check with the code folks.

Oops, you do not appear to be in CA. My mistake.

Oops again, you ARE in CA.
hmm.png

Here is the website and phone numbers. Your answer is just a couple of phone calls away.
http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/building-codes/california/san-diego/

For the county only, this is the website
http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/dplu/

Last edited:
I'm guessing you would. Where I live it would definitely be required. It really depends on your codes dept. Also where I am, a structure
on a permanent pad is considered an improvement to the property and will be added/adjusted to your property taxes. That can be a good thing or bad depending on what you want....increased property tax but also increased property appraisal value.

Now your problem is... if you get a permit for the new coop and the inspector comes out and sees the other structures that aren't permitted.
hmm.png
Your hassles will have just begun. Would your neighbor rat you out if you didn't get a permit?

Yeah check the laws in your county. Where I live, I was told as long as I ket it under 10x10, I wouldn't need a permit.....go the safe route and check before building

I'm in San Diego County. What part are you in....the county or city? Ag zoned or ? My dad is a contractor, I can ask him his opinion. Do be careful about getting the permit if you have any unpermitted other buildings. 12 x 12 length & width? Height of building?
is that a building or whole coop and run combined?

Quote:
Wow! Must be nice. When I lived in California I had to permit anything over 100 sq. feet and here in Washoe County NV it's even less! 8' X 8' is the max. Even when you build a shade structure for your horses that's over the 8' rule you have to permit. It's ridiculous! At least in California they approved your plans the same day (in San Jose that is). Here in Reno you have to wait weeks and then they make you wait a few more weeks once you submit the revisions. It's a nightmare!
The only positive is that it's a lot cheaper for a permit here than it was in California, although the enginnering fees here cost me a lot more (my engineer in San Jose was awesome though). You just better have a ton of time to spare before you plan to start your project!

Quote:
Hi, I'm in Julian so it's the county, zip 92036. Yes it's ag zoned. 12 wide, 12 deep, gable roof so I'm guessing around 12 high. The run would be separate and would just be the posts set not in, but on concrete, either all or partially covered. I don't need any more taxes (forgot about that aspect). Could you ask him how big I could go without a permit? Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom