building roosts with dropping boards

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Herself, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Herself

Herself Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    How far from the wall should my roosts be? My chickens are B.R. s. Also what is a good height? This is a walk in hen house so they could be fairly high. I plan to have removable dropping boards underneath the roost so if I put the roost at about 3 1/2 to 4 feet with the board about a foot under that would they need a ladder or could they hop to the dropping board & then to the roost?

Herself
    Mother of one grown daughter & one wonderful Westie boy.

2. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    I have the set up you have in mind. You can see it on my BYC page. I do have a ramp to the roost that was added after the pictures were taken. With heavy breed's like BR's which I have also, it's no so much getting up on roost, but getting down safely from a good height. My roost is 3.5 ft high and 1ft away from the wall. My droppings board is 8 inches below the roost.

So, getting up is not the problem, most chickens can fly quite high to get to a good roosting spot. It's the dropping down to a firm or slippery surface that could be problematic, but to a minor degree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by