Building walls for a chicken run

annasophiabee

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2019
New Hampshire
Hey guys,
As Winter's approaching, I want to build a 16x16 chicken run for the chickens and ducks. I saw this beautiful run but I'm wondering: Can I build a 2x4 wall with the studs facing wide? I've attached this picture of a run I saw on youtube and the 2x4s seem to be facing the wrong way. Wouldnt the wall be flimsy? I live in NH if that helps. Any tips are welcome! Thank you :)
Also I did message the owner and she didnt answer my question. :/

Attachments

• 20190927_220132.jpg
    20190927_220132.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 36
It's pretty, but not so good where you are. Build with snow load in mind! In the photo, this is an end wall, not load bearing. Her load bearing wall has uprights closer together, but still not as sturdy as you would need.
If you can, do it right the first time, so you don't have to redo it. An actual roof would be great, so you aren't out there shoveling it out every time it snows.
Mary

Got a link to the video?
Hard to say what else is in that construction....was it attached to a larger building?

But if you're building a stand alone structure, follow standard construction techniques and spacing.

Got a link to the video?
Hard to say what else is in that construction....was it attached to a larger building?

But if you're building a stand alone structure, follow standard construction techniques and spacing.
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Here is the link to the video...it is attached to a bigger building.

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Here is the link to the video...it is attached to a bigger building.

Thanks...wish she had showed more about the building of that....but structure looks pretty sturdy for a metal roof rather vs what might be needed for plywood sheathing and asphalt shingles.

It's a nice run... with attractive yet functional accouterments...might browse her other vids.

It would be fine for a non load bearing wall, to have them sideways, but I wouldn't do it for a load bearing wall. Unless I was in an area that didn't get snow and it was a metal roof. That run is in Vermont, I wonder if they got a permit to build it, if so, it had to be approved to build that way. The metal roof should let the snow slide off, before it builds up to much hopefully.

Ours is overbuilt, and I like it that way. When a 35 ft. spruce fell on it a few years ago, a couple of holes in the roof sheathing and shingles were all that was damaged. The structure was fine.
If I'm ever out there I want it to remain standing too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom